• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Can a baby lovebird grow up without its mother?

sensaven

Moving in
Unfortunately, the mother of a four weeks old lovebird escaped today and I am thinking to get a new female.

Are there any dangers in this? Will the new bird take care of the baby?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I think the task of handfeeding and keeping the chick warm falls to you. I would worry that another bird would likely harm it.

Folks who know what to do will be along shortly. I hope you've kept it fed since she flew away?

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
If handfeeding isn't an option, a bird specialty store that sells babies can take care of it. They can at least find a breeder who can feed it.

sensaven

Moving in
thanks for your prompt responses.

The mother is not there since a few hours back - how challenging will hand-feeding be? or is the bird too young (four weeks) to go through the process?

I could give it to a store but not sure if I can find one that sells babies of this age (as you know the baby doesn't look nice at this age)

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Yeah, that's a good way of winding up with a dead baby, a dead female, and/or a dead male. Lovebirds are very territorial, especially during breeding season. Chances are, she'd see the baby as competition for her own future young and attack it. One of my boys was put in with a female that was on a nest that wasn't his, and she bullied him away from her food and water and made his life miserable.

This is stuff you should research before breeding birds, not after.

Where's the father in all this? Have you tried looking for the mother?

Last edited:

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
thanks for your prompt responses.

The mother is not there since a few hours back - how challenging will hand-feeding be? or is the bird too young (four weeks) to go through the process?

I could give it to a store but not sure if I can find one that sells babies of this age (as you know the baby doesn't look nice at this age)
It's not too young, but it is very easy to hurt a baby when you hand feed it.
Most stores don't sell them at that age, but will buy them that young and raise them.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Handfeeding is challenging to say the least. Buying another female will result in the baby's death. There many posts on this forum on handfeeding so do a search and start reading.

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Finding another female Lovebird to raise your babies will not work, they would either kill them or just ignore them until they would die. Sorry.

sensaven

Moving in
thank you all for the help.

OK, I got about the baby... a last question: what about the male lovebird? will he be fine without a partner? (at least until the baby is grown up to defend itself against any attacks:)

Garet

Real Name
Garet

OK, I got about the baby... a last question: what about the male lovebird? will he be fine without a partner? (at least until the baby is grown up to defend itself against any attacks:)
... You seriously shouldn't leave the baby in with its father and whatever other bird you get. Fighting isn't healthy whether or not it can defend itself. There's no guarantee that your new female will want to live with him. Females chose their mates, not humans.

It really sounds like you don't care if your birds get hurt or not. Don't get another bird and stop trying to breed a species you know nothing about. Three out of the five lovebirds I have were from unsuccessful pairs, the other two were never attempted to be used as breeders.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
You really need understand how birds make their love connection. Humans have NO choice in who their bird choose as their mate. NONE. In the wild, the male will announce their territory and most of the time, the female will be the one to make the choice of the of the males in the area. And if there a baby from a previous clutch hanging around, the male will kill it.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
You really need understand how birds make their love connection. Humans have NO choice in who their bird choose as their mate. NONE. In the wild, the male will announce their territory and most of the time, the female will be the one to make the choice of the of the males in the area. And if there a baby from a previous clutch hanging around, the male will kill it.
This. I have three males, and the only m/f pair that formed is between my lovebird and tiel. My other pair is m/m despite the presence of two adult females of breeding age. (Which I am grateful for).

Even the boys will sometimes reject the girls. Triss likes Guzma, but she's not his type.

Instead of writing her off and wasting precious time and energy asking for advice to replace her, go find his mate. She might not have gone far if she has a chick.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle

Your baby can only go a short time without food. It will die if you don't help it immediately. It needs to be kept warm. This is life or death
we care very deeply about any bird that we hear about. If you have helped the baby, tell us. It only has a few hours left. The male will be fine for now, the baby is dying. If you've lost the baby, let us know. We'd rather know he's dead than wonder.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Please help the baby. It needs to be fed and kept warm. If you can't do this please find a breeder or vet who will take the little one in and care for him/her.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I think it's too late now... It's been 20 hours since OP posted, likely a lot longer since it was last fed, as they seemed to have gotten this account for advice. I'm going to start my "a baby bird died" mourning.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it's too late now... It's been 20 hours since OP posted, likely a lot longer since it was last fed, as they seemed to have gotten this account for advice. I'm going to start my "a baby bird died" mourning.
I hope that the OP took the early advice here and either started feeding the little one or took him/her to someone who could feed.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I hope that the OP took the early advice here and either started feeding the little one or took him/her to someone who could feed.
I hope you're right. Maybe they just didn't understand that we needed updates. Id rather be ready for the loss than get excited =/