• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Calmer Amazons-tell me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConureGuy

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Paul

Let us know in a few years how you make out after your one of the "hot three" matures. Your bird is just a baby now. They can and will change during those seasons. Cuddly babies are one thing, raging hormones is another.
Don't worry claire i will i seen how a hormonal male acts when it matures its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
Alright, I have to ask - does anyone else's Amazon sound like a harbor seal? Paco didn't make a sound for a year or more after he came to live with me, and when he finally let loose, I was sure there was something wrong with him, because I couldn't imagine that was a normal sound for any parrot. :eek: But that's Paco's vocalization - it's very distinctive, as those who have been on the phone with me can attest.

ConureGuy

Real Name
Paul
Alright, I have to ask - does anyone else's Amazon sound like a harbor seal? Paco didn't make a sound for a year or more after he came to live with me, and when he finally let loose, I was sure there was something wrong with him, because I couldn't imagine that was a normal sound for any parrot. :eek: But that's Paco's vocalization - it's very distinctive, as those who have been on the phone with me can attest.
I think i know the sound your on about and if its the one i have heard yes i have heard it.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

Don't worry claire i will i seen how a hormonal male acts when it matures its not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.
Well, you just need to let them be themselves. If you think you can take it, better you than me! :coffeescreen:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Well..........I am going to have to tape Kazoo when he sounds off when he wants out of his cage. We think it's a bark but it's much worse, but you could say fog horn:omg: :rofl: or giant pissed off seal. :rofl:

ConureGuy

Real Name
Paul

Well, you just need to let them be themselves. If you think you can take it, better you than me! :coffeescreen:
I don't think i can take it better than anyone else it just dose not bother me he could bite me all day long wouldn't bother me once you have fought off a pitbull a bird half the size is not going to bother you.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

I don't think i can take it better than anyone else it just dose not bother me he could bite me all day long wouldn't bother me once you have fought off a pitbull a bird half the size is not going to bother you.
Well I could imagine an all around attack to the head, hands and arms pose a problem. A bite here and a nip there, I have heard that they continue to bite and attack. I have never seen it myself but I could imagine if you were deemed an intruder that it would be very bad.

Then again a bite is a bite and some People may think a nip or pinch is bad. A bloody bite is signs of a good bite and you are right, they don't scare me either. Then again, I am sure Kazoo could do some damage to me but he is gentle and loves da Mommy so far. :D

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse

This is puzzling, since you concluded you couldn't manage your other Amazon within a few weeks of having him.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
This is puzzling, since you concluded you couldn't manage your other Amazon within a few weeks of having him.
Ut oh.............:backout:

ConureGuy

Real Name
Paul

Well I could imagine an all around attack to the head, hands and arms pose a problem. A bite here and a nip there, I have heard that they continue to bite and attack. I have never seen it myself but I could imagine if you were deemed an intruder that it would be very bad.

Then again a bite is a bite and some People may think a nip or pinch is bad. A bloody bite is signs of a good bite and you are right, they don't scare me either. Then again, I am sure Kazoo could do some damage to me but he is gentle and loves da Mommy so far. :D
Jinx is all for me which i find good as im always with him so he should be protective over me etc when he hits that stage.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

Jinx is all for me which i find good as im always with him so he should be protective over me etc when he hits that stage.
Then I will say to take this time while he is like playdoh and introduce him to other People, esp the opposite sex of you so he doesn't get all nutty and be liking to Men only. Socialize him with all walks of life Human wise, kids, etc. etc. These are your building blocks to him being able to deal with things that he would find odd later on if all he knows is you.

One of our Friends walks in my house, I kid you not and Hoosier flys over to him, lands on his shoulder and with happy excitement and some eye pinning starts making a racket talking and in some happy babble because he knows Uncle Brian. It amazes me to see my Bird who knows us, know him so well.

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle

What and you could manage a hen pet zon turned breeder could you?
I actually did for a few years. I had a pair of 'Zons that were former breeders. They lived cage free and preferred to be hands off. It's not their fault that someone decided they should be a breeder. It's not their fault they were left in a cage and had little to no enrichment, horrible diet and no human interaction. I dealt with it. I respected them for what they were. I took on the responsible of them and I took the responsibility seriously. When I felt I wasn't giving them what I thought would be best for them, I sent them to a sanctuary were they will never want for anything and never have to worry about a thing. IMO, that was the right thing to do. Not trade them for the next best thing :)

ConureGuy

Real Name
Paul

Then I will say to take this time while he is like playdoh and introduce him to other People, esp the opposite sex of you so he doesn't get all nutty and be liking to Men only. Socialize him with all walks of life Human wise, kids, etc. etc. These are your building blocks to him being able to deal with things that he would find odd later on if all he knows is you.

One of our Friends walks in my house, I kid you not and Hoosier flys over to him, lands on his shoulder and with happy excitement and some eye pinning starts making a racket talking and in some happy babble because he knows Uncle Brian. It amazes me to see my Bird who knows us, know him so well.
He's fine with my daughter my mother don't know what it is he likes everyone but hates my brother.

ConureGuy

Real Name
Paul
I actually did for a few years. I had a pair of 'Zons that were former breeders. They lived cage free and preferred to be hands off. It's not their fault that someone decided they should be a breeder. It's not their fault they were left in a cage and had little to no enrichment, horrible diet and no human interaction. I dealt with it. I respected them for what they were. I took on the responsible of them and I took the responsibility seriously. When I felt I wasn't giving them what I thought would be best for them, I sent them to a sanctuary were they will never want for anything and never have to worry about a thing. IMO, that was the right thing to do. Not trade them for the next best thing :)
I didn't trade her for the next best thing she was handed over for free to someone who could care fore her right jinx was bought in full payment.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse

Actually, yes. Amelia is a former breeder. As is Paco. And Bertie, who was confined to a cage for her first 23 years, is now mated with Paco and goes into full breeding mode in the spring.

A little respect, and patience, and we all get along just fine. :)

Last edited:

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I think I have a bit of video with Wasabi's bellowing like a submarine in the ocean. He started that today when I was upstairs, which is odd, since he always starts yelling when he can see me. It went on and on an on.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Female breeder birds aren't bad to rehab back into pet quality. As with all things it depends on the bird. I have an older female that was a pet first and then I found her a mate. She is still somewhat handleable. Minus the mate and a couple weeks to work with her, she'd be back to pet status in no time. If my old male dies first, I'd seriously think about making my Ellie back into a daily handled pet. She's an awesome bird.

I do think most of this argument comes down to male vs. female and also to the individual bird. Nobody can predict how a bird will mature. Females VERY often mature much sweeter than males. I don't worry much about my girl babies when I send them off to good homes. I can be reasonably confident that they will be stable. My boys I worry about. They can do anything from staying sweet to taking chunks out of your body. Most fall somewhere in between with phases of violent aggression and phases of pure sweetness. How you handle them as babies helps, but in the end you have to love the bird enough to accept it for what it is. Even if it doesn't turn out the way you think it will. IMO opinion, the reason Amerillo is so sweet is because she's a girl. The reason Hiram is so sweet is maybe he's a she but also as far as I can tell he's been an only amazon, been cared for by a great owner and is probably just a decent all around bird as part of his individual character. It may well be that Belize yellow heads are overal sweeter, but they are awefully closely related to DYH to put the mellow personality up to subspecies stereotype. I've read a couple people say my parvipes YNA are the sweeter subspecies. Thats hard to believe when Oscar bites syringes in half on contact with no chewing whenever I have to give him meds. And goes after me with that same kind of bite every single time I try to clean or feed. Some individual males really can be THAT bad. Females don't usually take it to that extreme. I'd describe my more aggressive females as plenty fiesty. My more aggressive males can be down right disfiguring dangrous.

tozie12

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
My ollie makes some VERY strange noises. His bray, i consider it like a donkey bray, but it could be compared to a harbor seal's yell. When i first got ollie i wondered if he lived in a barnyard, with all his STRANGE noises he makes.
Ollie is 30 and tho he has plenty of good years left in him, he's past that really bad hormone stage. He still gets pretty snarky when he's hormonal but then again, so do i.
:hehe: I wouldnt be able to deal with a young male just coming into his own, i think it would be more than my experience level could accommodate.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Here are the eight sub species of Double Yellow Headed Amazons (Amazona oratrix) as recoginzed by the Amazona Society (Amazona society):

Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Amazona oratrix oratrix
1.jpg

Belize Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Amazona oratrix belizensis
2.jpg

Yellow Crowned Amazon
Amazona oratrix guatemalensis
3.jpg

Yellow Naped Amazon
Amazona oratrix guatemalensis
4.jpg

Yellow Crowned Amazon
Amazona oratrix Hondurensis
5.jpg

Yellow Naped Amazon
Amazona oratrix hondurensis
6.jpg

Greater Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Amazona oratrix magna
7.jpg
Tres Marias Amazon
Amazona oratrix tresmariae
8.jpg

Interestingly enough, the Yellow Crown is listed in here and is not known to be one of the more aggressive of the Amazons as far as I know.

I can't say for certain that Amarillo is or isn't a Belize Yellow Head. I can't say that she is the most unagressive bird I have ever met simply because she's a female or because perhaps she is a sub species of type Belize. I have heard from others that their Belize, or what they thought of as the Belize sub species are also very docile. I do not know whether or not they had males or females. I guess it is all up to interpretation.

I do know that I love my girl and that she turns 12 today!:heart:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.