• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

calcium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Do any of you supplement calcium into your eclectus' diet? I'm afraid that Bean might not be getting enough calcium from the fruits and vegetables that he's eating, and I'm looking for different ways to supplement. David (Bean's breeder) said that he shaves some cuttlebone into his mash for calcium. I've also heard of grinding egg shells and adding to food, calcium fortified tofu and orange juice... Do you do any of these?
I found this on Kathie's site and thought it might be something worth looking into:
Hatched™ Crushed Eggshell PER LB. - SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE
The thing that I wonder is if the shells are cooked, how much of the calcium has leached out of the shell from the cooking process, does anyone know? :huh:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I believe that Jen (jmfleish) posted an interesting note about how the bioavailbility of calcium in eggshells isn't actually all that high, and I know that Billie Faye has warned about the hazards of crop impaction from eggshells as well. I think cuttlebone might be a better idea, plus you can get it in powder form if I'm not mistaken!

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Thanks Coco, I did wonder about that, especially since they're always talking about the calcium in bones leaching out when foods like chicken are cooked, I figured eggshells would do the same. Now to hunt down some good cuttlebone :)
Is there a brand anyone recommends? Don't know how it's treated/handled, but I think I understand it comes from a fish? :huh:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Thanks Coco, I did wonder about that, especially since they're always talking about the calcium in bones leaching out when foods like chicken are cooked, I figured eggshells would do the same. Now to hunt down some good cuttlebone :)
Is there a brand anyone recommends? Don't know how it's treated/handled, but I think I understand it comes from a fish? :huh:
That's right... the cuttlefish :) I don't have brand recommendations, sorry, but hopefully somebody will! :)

all4stvoyager

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
I don't suppliment...it is possible for them to get too much calcium, and it's hard to tell where that line is. I choose to do it through the foods...like kale, sweet potato, almonds, spinach, turnip greens, soy beans, etc. I honeslty don't worry about it too much with my male. Now my female is another story because she insists on laying eggs...but since Bean seems to like exploring foods, I'd go that route :)

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Land of Vos isn't very active anymore, unfortunately...but there are still a lot of resources there! People will answer, but not quickly like here.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

rikkitikki

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
Thanks for the great information everyone. I will check out that article on calcium for sure. Actually I think I found an article about calcium on LOV and they mentioned that cuttlebone is a source of calcium, but not a great source, but they still listed it on their list for calcium. Don't remember where on the website I saw it anymore.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Cuttlebone that is white, not fishy smelling and not sticky or greasy is processed cuttlebone. I have not come across any 'brands' of cuttlebone. I prefer to get my cuttlebone in person so I can check it out rather than order it on line.

I also offer the natural clay mineral block (manu). It is mined in South America for macaws and amazons, kiln dried and sent to the USA. The smaller birds find it a challenge to get any off the block, but I cut my one pound blocks in four pieces and often get some little crumbled pieces as well as the long shapes. I also save the dust from cutting it (I use a hacksaw blade) and put that in my birdy bread.

Another thing I offer is powdered oystershell (not just crushed; if I buy crushed, I blend it till it is fine powder. I put it in bread, leave a very small treat dish of it in the cages and dust their carrots and whole veggies with it in breeding season.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I would also stick with the veggie sources since Bean is such a good eater. Sara offered very good food choices. :)

Also calcium rich are: Collard greens, dark leafy greens such as broccoli stems, mustard greens, turnip & dandelion greens.

CarmieJo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carmie
I throw a whole egg in when I make birdie bread but other than that I don't dose any supplements.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Cuttlebone and mineral blocks are not just calcium supplements, but also beak toys and things to destroy. My birds regularly go through a destruction phase where they reduce each and every calcium source I give them to powder and pieces. Helps their beak shape and they seem to enjoy the game of destruction.

Yes, veggie calcium sources are much more healthy for the birds. It is also noted in the wild, especially Amazons, are known for picking up and chewing on animal bones for the marrow and the calcium in the bones. Apparently a very commonly observed thing the the south American birds. It has also been documented in Australia.

all4stvoyager

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sara
Using suppliments with ekkies can be riskier than with other birds. It can lead to allergies, too much of a certain vitamin (can't remember the exact word for that), toe tapping/wing flipping, etc.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Not advocating the use with ekkies; just pointing out they can be toys and forage opportunities. So little of what we give our birds is just for one reason; even food is a toy, a forage opportunity, and nutrition.

Kathie

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Do any of you supplement calcium into your eclectus' diet? I'm afraid that Bean might not be getting enough calcium from the fruits and vegetables that he's eating, and I'm looking for different ways to supplement. David (Bean's breeder) said that he shaves some cuttlebone into his mash for calcium. I've also heard of grinding egg shells and adding to food, calcium fortified tofu and orange juice... Do you do any of these?
I found this on Kathie's site and thought it might be something worth looking into:
Hatched™ Crushed Eggshell PER LB. - SUPPLEMENTS/VITAMINS by MY SAFE BIRD STORE
The thing that I wonder is if the shells are cooked, how much of the calcium has leached out of the shell from the cooking process, does anyone know? :huh:
I have been using this daily, mixed in with Herb Salad, with my birds for years. Here is the link to the specs on Hatched: SPECS I feel very safe using this and am very comfortable with it. In fact, when I took my one eclectus for the entire range of blood tests, the vet wanted to know what I do for diet, etc., as she had never seen such great results.

Edited to add: the reason I mix it in with the Herb Salad is because my birds will choose what they want from the herb salad. If they need the calcium, they know to eat it. If they don't, it sits there. Very amazing, but I assume it is instinct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.