• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique

Dachshund King

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello! I've had my yellow thighed Caique for about 5 weeks now and I've finally made progress. When I first got Cookie (my Caique) she was very spooked and wouldn't let anyone go near her and she would run away. Against my personal wishes, I had to keep her cagebound for a couple of weeks to avoid injury as she was not a very good flyer and could not get back into her enclosure once she was out. I took things slow and spent many hours every day trying to her used to me and fed her treats which she wouldn't take for about 2 weeks, on the 3rd week she finally took some blueberries from my hand and things sped up really fast since then, in the space of 2 weeks she went from not going near any human to happily coming out and playing, eating lots of snacks and playing with my other birds. She now comes out loads and loves to play. Her favourite snack is still blueberries :) . I read online that caiques can be quite bird aggressive to other species but Cookie absolutely adores my jenday conure (Amber) and they always come out together to play. I'm really happy that she's made so much progress and I just wanted to share. I'm currently dealing with a little jealousy as I have 5 birds but They have distinct play partners when flying out the cage which causes the others to be jealous as I only get 1 or 2 out at a time to make sure I have complete control. Anyway, it's been really fun with Cookie and Caiques are awesome!! IMG_20181025_171141_151.jpg IMG_20180916_141306_053.jpg IMG_20181014_173814_002.jpg IMG_20181026_182933_931.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Great news! And your birds are adorable.

Coldbreeze

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alana
So cute!! That's what I'm most nervous about. I plan on getting one more parrot maybe in Jan or Feb. But I just dont know how Zazu will be.. I may hold off til Zazu hits a year but then again maybe not since hes a baby.. things to think about.

Dachshund King

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Yeah, I've had to deal with bird jealousy since my 3rd bird. I got Poppy (my crimson bellied conure) after my 2 budgies and they were absolutely fine, they had nothing to do with each other and pretty much ignored each other, my budgies get along really well together and they're housed in the same enclosure. I then got my jenday conure about a year and a half later, this created extreme amounts of jealousy from Poppy which is understandable. Poppy would do anything to attack Amber (my jenday) which resulted in a lot of bites towards me. It took about 6 months to calm things down to where they are very compatible during play time, they still don't play together but they're perfectly fine sitting together when I'm present. I then got Cookie about a year and a bit after Amber and currently dealing with more jealousy. Amber really likes Cookie and Cookie likes Amber so they're fine out together however Poppy doesn't like Cookie but likes Amber. I've got a temporary method of getting Cookie and Amber out first and then putting Cookie back and getting Poppy out which seems to work. Anyway, if you do add another bird to your flock, I'd be happy to hear about it and what species you'll decide on :)