• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique Questions

ThatsFowlPlay

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jasmine
Hi, I'm really new to Avian Avenue and this is my first thread!!!! I'm thinking about putting down a deposit for a baby white bellied Caique and I need help finding out a perfect cage size. I found this cage, http://a.co/enqVqJc and don't know if the cage too big or too small, or the bar spacing is too large or too little. I read the reviews and answered questions but I'm a really indecisive person. Help!!!

Also I've been reading online about the personality of Caiques. Is there any difference of behavior of White bellied and Black head Caiques? Also I'm gone for 4-7 hours a day as I attend school, should I get a Caique if I'm gone for that long?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hi there and welcome!

I would say the cage is definately too small. It is only 22x22 inside. They list the exterior dimensions with seed gaurds which is deceiving as tis is not space for the birds.

You could try a flight cage which is 32x22. You'll need space for all the toys.

If it is an option at all I highly recommend 2 caiques they make the best friends for one another and it's twice the fun for you.

I keep mine in pairs so they can entertain one another so I have no worries about them being lonely.

I'll let someone with a single caique comment on their experience.

The white-bellied caiques seem to have a reputation for being a little more mellow and my experience supports that.

We always say the black on their heads us an extra dab of crazy on the black-heade birds. Lol!

Perriewinkle

Rollerblading along the road
Hi, I'm not a caique owner, but the cage is indeed too small. Caique are a rowdy bunch. Not for the faint of heart.. lol

Check out the good, bad, and ugly posts and I would suggest spending some time with this species if you can. Each bird has a different personality but Caiques seem to be extra smart for their size and extra energy. They will require a "as large as possible" cage and tons of toys and foraging for enrichment.

ThatsFowlPlay

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jasmine
Hi there and welcome!

I would say the cage is definately too small. It is only 22x22 inside. They list the exterior dimensions with seed gaurds which is deceiving as tis is not space for the birds.

You could try a flight cage which is 32x22. You'll need space for all the toys.

If it is an option at all I highly recommend 2 caiques they make the best friends for one another and it's twice the fun for you.

I keep mine in pairs so they can entertain one another so I have no worries about them being lonely.

I'll let someone with a single caique comment on their experience.

The white-bellied caiques seem to have a reputation for being a little more mellow and my experience supports that.

We always say the black on their heads us an extra dab of crazy on the black-heade birds. Lol!
Thank you for your recomendations!!! How about this one: goo.gl/jqfGyK

Last edited by a moderator:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

@Tim ?

Tim

Avenue Veteran
The second one looks great--Lots of room for toys. You don't necessarily need the open top--you'll find that they love LOTS of toys hanging, anyway. My next cages will be dome-top,for the extra toy space.
I agree with @Laurie about two--really consider it. It makes being away during school so much easier, and when they can entertain each other, it takes a LOT of pressure off of you. And single caiques demand a lot of attention. It's why parrot people will often give you a look when you say you're getting a caique that is like "are you sure?!??"
My vet thinks I'm crazy for having caiques. And she has a Moluccan and an Umbrella Cockatoo :rofl:
My first caique I kept as a single bird. I now have a pair, and couldn't imagine it any other way! They each have their own flight cage. Personally, I think they're the best parrots--for me!

Tim

Avenue Veteran
As far as behavior, I think they are the same. My first caique was a BHC, and now I have two WBC. Anecdotally the White Bellied are said to be a little more mellow. If true, the difference is minimal to me, and really depends much more on the personality of the bird, how it was raised and weaned and how you train it when young. @Laurie has both, maybe she has some insight!