• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Caique here on extended visit: best practices?

TNTiel

Moving in
Hi, I have a black headed Caique that I'm fostering for a while, and I'm hoping to get some tips on how to keep us both happy during our time together.
About me: I have kept budgies and cockatiels before. I generally consider cockatiels the perfect parrot for me: they are quiet, don't tend to bite, and affectionate. A small flock keep each other happy without needing extended attention from the featherless, but enjoy said attention. I have handled and babysat and housesitted with other large parrots. I enjoy them and I like to think I have a relatively basic grasp of their behavior, as much as that can be generalized. Conures and A. Grey's are mainly what I've known for extended periods of time.
About Ozzy, the Caique: He's under a year old. The person who got him is experienced with parrots of the kind listed above. She was keeping a fairly large aviary of finches and budgies and got Ozzy as her personal parrot. She became ill and it is unclear if she will be able to take him back.
Ozzy has been a nice bird so far, he started out very quiet and cooperative and has become somewhat less so, although nothing awful (yet). His cage is in a roomy bathroom across from the room my cockatiels are housed in. He used to ride around with me to do the morning rounds of feedings, but that started to seem unwise as he doesn't like all of them. The cage is open on top and he has a playtop up there, I never close it unless I have company. He comes out of the bathroom almost every morning for a couple of hours, and every weekend morning. He tends to run around on the floor of the bathroom in the am while I get ready, which is fine. In the evening he can come out for an hour or two to the living room, if he wants. He gets pellets and fresh food in the am, and parrot seed mix in the evening.
What's the best way to keep Ozzy happy and socialized, but try to avoid permanent pair bonding? I will not be keeping him permanently, regardless of his owner's health. I like him lots, but larger parrots aren't for me long term.

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
What's the best way to keep Ozzy happy and socialized, but try to avoid permanent pair bonding?. I don't believe there is one. He will form bonds with other birds around him and maybe you as well. The ideal bond is with another caique.

Any other bird he bonds with, particularly a smaller one, could be in danger, as caiques play very rough. They are the wrestlers of the bird world.

TNTiel

Moving in
Yes, I don't allow him to be in with the other birds if they are out of thier cages, or let him be in there unsupervised, for that reason. I don't like keeping a bird away from any other birds, it is far less than ideal.
I'm afraid you're probably right and he will form a bond. Hopefully his original owner will feel able to take him back so I can visit him often.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Is he all alone beside that hour a day? Birds are very social , can he be in your main living area?

TNTiel

Moving in
He's where he can see everybody and everything going on unless I am away. I work a rotating schedule, so there are sometimes 8/12 hours a day where he's alone. That's not avoidable for his and others safety.