• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 caique help

Grainne Lock

Moving in
Real Name
gralock
I just got a wee caique parrot a couple off months ago. She has been looked after extremely well.. she has been on a diet off fruit, veg, pellets, nuts, occasional seeds.. from yesterday she has been puffed out, making a constant high pitch squeal and her poo had been very watery. When we take her out off her cage she gets on a lot worse, when we put her back in and leave her alone her high pitch squeal goes back to her normal squeal and her feathers aren t as puffed out.. We brought her to an emergency vet last night he checked her over and said it didn t look like anything serious. He gave us antibiotics and injected her with a pain killer and the antibiotic. He also gave us vitamins to put into her water... When we got home she slept all night as normal. When I woke up the morning she was back to square one! Constant high pitch squeal until we left her alone and put her into her cage and her squeal was back to normal. Her poo is no longer watery and back to normal but she s still puffed out and getting on funny when we re in her company.. I really don t know what to do, I m completely devastated, I don t want anything to happen to her. I m also pregnant and its putting a bit off stress on me incase its something serious... I feel completely gutted watching her... Could it be an attention thing? Please he

Grainne Lock

Moving in
Real Name
gralock
No I don't have one. He checked her weight, eyes, nose, everything... She won't eat anything apart from fruit as well...

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Irishj9 How old is the baby? My thoughts are if she was weaned correctly? If she could have a crop infection or yeast, especially with all the fruit? A crop culture is needed to test.

Grainne Lock

Moving in
Real Name
gralock
She is 4 months old. Do you think the antibiotics and vitamins should help? I just don't understand why she's acting normal when on her own and when she's in company she's acting like this. On the way to the vet last night in the car she was acting normal as well.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best

This video has a Caique crying to be fed. Does your bird sound like this?

At 4 months, my thoughts are thinking you might be seeing regression, or even a hunger that she's not fulfilling herself. It could also be a need for nurturing, which feeding provides.

You don't need to bring out a syringe, but try and feed some warm soft foods by hand to see if that helps.

If you baby is not feeling well, that also could bring about crying to be fed.

Was you vet an avian one? Most emergency vets aren't. Another visit to an avian vet would be your best bet, along with trying some supplemental feedings.

Grainne Lock

Moving in
Real Name
gralock
That's exactly what she's doing! I have some cooked sweet potato, broccoli and califlour here... Just waiting on it to cool down a bit and I'll mash it up and give it to her... I made her pasta last night but she wouldn't eat it.. she's puffing her feathers out like that as well just exactly like your video... I really hope its nothing serious.. I've been an emotional wreck all day seeing her like this, it's crazy how a little bird can make you feel

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
See if some warm, soft, mashed sweet potato will be taken. Make sure it's not hot in places. You can use your fingers, or offer it on a spoon.

The brocc and cauliflower may not mash very well. Try and see.

Scrambled eggs (no butter) work, and oatmeal is usually taken well too.

You still need to make sure the baby doesn't have an infection. That will bring back baby crying if she's not feeling well.

Hoping all you need is some extra feeding and loving.

Grainne Lock

Moving in
Real Name
gralock
She seems to be enjoying the sweet potato... She was given antibiotics last night, I hope if it is an infection they should clear it... Also can you put Apple cider vinegar into her water? I seen it online

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Looks like you already got a good diagnosis. Two points

1) There is a root cause which the antibiotics seem to have helped. You said her poop improved after the doc visit.

2) The baby begging beheaviour is what it is, a cry for help and comfort. Certainly I would give her more attention and hand feeding.

But watch that poop. I assume the doc prescribed a course of antibiotics?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Infections often need a certain medicine. Antibiotics are not a cure all. Birds can suffer from infections that some antibiotics don't work on. I've had to try at least 3 once, before finding one that would cure my bird. Fungus is another problem that needs a different med. Since your bird is a baby, I'd not play around with 'hoping' this one will work. They will take a culture, and then find which medicine clears it up. Most avian vets don't just give out general antibiotics.

As for ACV, many people promote it, but I'd hesitate to self medicate your baby, especially if she is having a problem.

Hopefully the feedings will do the trick....but watch closely for any signs of her being 'off'.

Grainne Lock

Moving in
Real Name
gralock
I think her poop was watery yesterday due to eatting fruit, she was also eatting the fruit very quick, as the day went on and I took her fruit away her poop started to turn back to normal... She was still puffed up and squealing when in company so that's why we brought her to an emergency vet. I honestly think it's because Shes hungry. She was hoping about the floor and flying about like normal not that long ago, she also doesn't seem to like the pellets I put her on so I'm gonna buy the Harrison's pellets. I'll see what she's like when I carry on with the antibiotics and if she's still the same I'll bring her back to the vet... Everyone's been saying Shes getting on like a baby again even tho she is as Shes only 4 months.. I really hope shes ok.. thanks very much for your help I really appreciate it everyone