• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage toys. How many is too many.

Debriars

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deb
He is clumsy still but bored when we're not at work where he is free so I was thinking of adding more at home. Thank you

caspin22

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Christine
All of my cages have at least 12-15 toys each, plus there's at least 6 or so toys on each play stand.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I keep usually about 10 in my linnie's cage but rotate frequently. My Jardine's has usually 4 destroyable and 4 foraging toys.

Like you said, as long as they are able to move about freely, then it's probably fine. I just find it's too hard to do safety checks on too many toys at once, and I also feel like my birds play more when they have a few things to choose from that change more frequently vs. a ton of things out at once that stay out longer.

Debriars

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deb
He doesn't seem to like the block foraging. He's only 4 mnths Doesn't like treats either. Guess I have to keep trying different toys

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I got my Jardine's started with balsa and now he's a chewing machine!

Foraging toys can take lots of forms! I have plastic and wood ones.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Don't forget to attach perches and stuff in the outside of cage sides and top. Enriching and turns cage into home base play gym

Debriars

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deb
Never thought about balsa. He has an open top cage He is a free monster lol loves the curtain rods

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I think it really depends on the birds. Some might be overwhelmed by too many toys, others need lots of different toys. My Walter had his favorites (2) which never left his cage. The other 3-4 I rotated between different toys. Of course with his limited mobility and limited vision I had to be very careful that the toys didn't block his mobility or were a safety hazard with his limited vision. With the young conure, we try to keep a clear flight path so that he could fly the full length of his cage if he wants but his cage is huge for his size so he has about 8-10 toys, a foraging tray and then several different perches including both flat and different diameter perches. We are starting to put more toys on the outside of his cage but he usually plays on the dresser (with more toys) or in our lap when he is out. (He is not left unattended out ) I was thinking at first that we only had a few toys in there but then I counted them up and realize we had more than I thought. (but then again he has a huge cage)

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a beautiful bird Deb.

I counted and I have 9 toys in my Linnie's cage at the moment. Linnies are burrowers by nature so I often have a little cluster of 3 hanging toys in a corner and Gigi will go inside the group and let all the toys hang about her. She's an only so this might made her feel less alone. For years Gigi had 2 boings in the center (front and back) and she navigated the cage like a monkey. After talking to a few Linnie people and learning that they do fly in their cages I now leave the center of the cage open except for a center perch (which has a toy hanging from the wall) so she can fly across. Her fave chewing material is sola. When she gets into the zone she can destroy a sola toy in a few weeks. With your big boy I'd offer a combo of easy to destroy toys (quick reward!) and difficult harder woods to keep him busy.

Debriars

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deb
I think it really depends on the birds. Some might be overwhelmed by too many toys, others need lots of different toys. My Walter had his favorites (2) which never left his cage. The other 3-4 I rotated between different toys. Of course with his limited mobility and limited vision I had to be very careful that the toys didn't block his mobility or were a safety hazard with his limited vision. With the young conure, we try to keep a clear flight path so that he could fly the full length of his cage if he wants but his cage is huge for his size so he has about 8-10 toys, a foraging tray and then several different perches including both flat and different diameter perches. We are starting to put more toys on the outside of his cage but he usually plays on the dresser (with more toys) or in our lap when he is out. (He is not left unattended out ) I was thinking at first that we only had a few toys in there but then I counted them up and realize we had more than I thought. (but then again he has a huge cage)
I have paper And popsicle sticks in an egg cartin witch he loves. I also have a big foraging ball and if he gets to the bell he dings it and I refill it with paper shavings and cupcake papers . He has wood but doesn't bother with it. Ill look into getting flat perches also . Thank you

Debriars

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deb
What a beautiful bird Deb.

I counted and I have 9 toys in my Linnie's cage at the moment. Linnies are burrowers by nature so I often have a little cluster of 3 hanging toys in a corner and Gigi will go inside the group and let all the toys hang about her. She's an only so this might made her feel less alone. For years Gigi had 2 boings in the center (front and back) and she navigated the cage like a monkey. After talking to a few Linnie people and learning that they do fly in their cages I now leave the center of the cage open except for a center perch (which has a toy hanging from the wall) so she can fly across. Her fave chewing material is sola. When she gets into the zone she can destroy a sola toy in a few weeks. With your big boy I'd offer a combo of easy to destroy toys (quick reward!) and difficult harder woods to keep him busy.
He was clipped when I got him. Can't wait to see him fly. He flaps with his showers and oh so blue red and yellow in them.

Debriars

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Deb
He was clipped when I got him. Can't wait to see him fly. He flaps with his showers and oh so blue red and yellow in them.
He loves yelling over the vacuum. Why does he have to stop when I turn it off lol. They never told me what kind of amazon he is I figure he is a yellow head ....

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
This is also very individual for each bird. Spearmint loves clutter, as he won't fly in his cage anyway due to confidence issues. As long as they can stretch, move comfortably, and flap around if they want, you'll be good :)

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mojo currently has 10 toys in her cage and KiKi has 3 KeeK gets overwhelmed with two much in her cage and can only swap out one toy at a time and thats every few weeks, could change all of Mojos toys tommorow wouldnt bother her each bird is different, Mojo is confident climbing anywhere in her cage KiKi not so much so Keeks has less toys and more perches to help her move around.