• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage switch for special needs Vasa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Currently, Java is housed in a corner cage with 30 x 30 x 64 dimensions, but I have half of the bottom covered with boxes and a large pillow since he is prone to falling. I had gotten the cage before I knew what species I would end up with. My question is: would a wide flight cage be better suited to his needs? The cage he has now is modified but he still uses only one small corner of it. I'm assuming it's because he's afraid of falling. Because his wingspan is so large, I've been contemplating getting him a wider cage to accommodate him, but I don't know if the change will stress him out as he is very attached to the cage he's in now. If I did get him a new cage, I wouldn't have enough space to keep both cages, so I'm not sure what I should do. He has one leg and is only able to use 3 of the 4 toes on his remaining leg because of nerve damage from a raccoon attack. I want him to have the safest and most spacious option. I would like to remove the boxes and pillow in about a year once he is strong enough and more settled in, but the thought of him making an almost 6-foot drop to the bottom of the cage scares me. What would be best for him?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, I would probably say that a shorter, wider cage would be better.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I would think so too. Perhaps Some sort of large rabbit/ferret/chinchilla cage could even As they are often wider and lower.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This is what I'm thinking of for him. Does anyone have any experience with this cage? 20180526_115352.png

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd suggest a long, low cage - a 6' drop would worry me too!

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
I finished setting that cage up today Brittany. What info would help you?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I finished setting that cage up today Brittany. What info would help you?
Mainly bar size, door size, and just overall size so I would know if the cage was strong enough to house a vasa in the event he became much more active and decided to use every inch of his cage. Could you also post an interior shot of the cage's width? Thank you so much!

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
Bar size? Do you mean how thick is each individual bar? They’re thin. If Java ever decided to put any effort into snapping the bars, he could do it. Faust was sitting on the cage today, showing a lot of interest in it while I was finishing up setting it up. He started acting like he was going to snap some of the bars because he wanted to go into the cage and the doors were both closed. I had to shoo him off because as strong as his beak is it was a legitimate concern with as small as the bars are. I know you said Java isn’t destructive so this might not be a concern. The bars are thin on this cage but it’s a sturdy cage. I’ll get some pics of the width and measure the doors for you tomorrow. As far as how wide, it’s 63” wide and 19” front to back.

jennluna

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenn
@Brittany0208 the doors are about 10” wide by 21” tall. It was hard for me to get an interior shot like you wanted so what I did instead was set a 16oz soda bottle at one end and take some shots from the side, at a diagonal, and from the front so you can get a size reference. I hope that will help you. FF889B07-70A3-415D-944C-A7664E2F04D6.jpeg F7265441-D4AD-4CEA-A72E-1B81D0BC8C58.jpeg 7D961F4D-2809-4B5B-8E88-47A98D48BF4E.jpeg

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Brittany0208 the doors are about 10” wide by 21” tall. It was hard for me to get an interior shot like you wanted so what I did instead was set a 16oz soda bottle at one end and take some shots from the side, at a diagonal, and from the front so you can get a size reference. I hope that will help you. View attachment 278068 View attachment 278069 View attachment 278070
Wow, that cage is huge! Far too big for my current living space but it is definitely on my wish list. Thank you so much! Your caique is going to be in paradise :heart:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I would also keep another thing in mind though I know you are looking for a comfortable cage for Java. Try to find one with a higher stand, even if the cage is wider but shorter in height. Mainly for your back - I've found from experience that getting a cage on a lower stand does kill your back when you are trying to clean it. Just something to keep in mind. I realize you are probably younger than 60'ish but even at 20ish backs don't like being hunched over. From a family of giants I am the dwarf @ 5'5ish.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'll keep that in mind. I'm 27 with a laundry list of medical issues that I've dealt with since birth. Thus far, I haven't been able to find an ideal cage for him so I've rearranged his current cage so the bottom is still raised but now has more room on the inside since I took out some furniture he wasn't using. So far, I like this setup much better than before.

Status
Not open for further replies.