• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Size For 4 Conures

Scottish Steve

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi everyone - hope you're all well..

We decided to keep the four babies our proud parents gave hatch to, and at the moment, we have the 3 little one's in a cage, 34 (length), 38 (height) by 20 (depth).
We have number 4 still in the nest box with mom and dad, which is located directly to mom and dad's cage - which is the same size as the one listed before. but my wife found him on the floor of mom and dad's cage today, so it's only a matter of time before he's ready - we now have crumpled newspaper all along the bottom of mom and dad''s cage).
I'd like to ask, am I correct in thinking this size of cage should have no more than 2 Conures?
Our little flock does spend A LOT of time out of their houses, but I'm aware of the larger the better train of thought.
We actually have 3 cages setup right now, with Snuggles and Rosie sharing a smaller but temporary cage, and the new 3 little one's in their cage.
I personally think 2 Conures to these size of cages is enough, but my wife is having a fit with the thought of another 2 large cages in our apartment - she wanted the 4 little one's in one of these cages.

Please help me convince her that that is a very bad idea.

Kindest regards.
Stephen

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I'm jealous of your flock! I would give them as much room as possible. Someone with a larger flock will hopefully weigh in, but I would think more room aids in everyone getting along. You wouldn't want fighting to start and have to get a cage for each.

gptb2020

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kaden

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I agree on a double flight cage. I have one (I only have half set up tho) and I believe it would provide plenty of space for them to play! You also will have a divider so if down the road you want you can always divide them up.

Scottish Steve

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thanks guys!
Yeah, I was looking at these cages earlier today, and I also think one of these may be the answer.

Many thanks.
Stephen

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Well all this talk about cage size is secondary because there are a number of other concerns. First off all these birds are siblings. When they mature there is going to be a reckoning. Siblings don't usually get along at that point. Parents can/will reject them. They will need to be separated. Possibly entire environments out of necessity. If you do get along and buddy you have the other problem. Inbreeding because they are siblings (genetic defects). Again they will need to be separated. Possibly entire environments out of necessity.

One cage is one environment no matter what size it is. Birds (pairs) do not share environment. Anymore than two birds in one cage will cause territorial conflicts and tremendous unneeded stress.

So cage size is the least of your worries.

Technically you are a breeder. (Even if it's just once). What you "need" are environments (rooms/aviaries) to prevent the issues above but also because once they start breeding there is no off switch. They're all going to want to breed. Thus the need for even more environments.

Things to ponder.

Last edited:

Scottish Steve

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi.
Thanks for your input.
There will be no more breeding as any future eggs will be replaced with fake ones, so technically, breeding should no longer be of importance.
As for getting along, this is just something we have to watch very closely, and just play it out.. on the plus side, all the birds are out with us A LOT during the day so we can only keep our fingers crossed..

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
Ah, I've wondered how those little birds were doing! I followed your earlier posts, the whole adventure and turmoil of their arrival, and I'm delighted to hear that they're going to be staying with you! Hope the whole birdy family is doing well...I'd love to see some photos? Good luck with the cage conundrum!

Last edited:

Scottish Steve

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi Ninna.
I am so sorry it's taken me ages to get back to you.. our lives here are very often crazy, and I do sincerely apologize.
As requested, here is a little picture of our 4 new little birdies - we cannot tell them apart so for now, they're 1, 2, 3 & 4 (rotating).

Please accept my humble apologies for being very late, and I hope you have a wonderful holiday season ahead.

All the best.
Stephen & family.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are beautiful. They do look as if they would be very difficult to tell apart. Look closely at their markings and also differences in personalities.

Scottish Steve

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Thank you very much.
The main problem is that they won’t stay still long enough for us to have a good enough look, but we’re taking them tomorrow to get nice, brightly colored bands on, so hopefully, life will become easier in that department.

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
They are little beauties! You must be very proud of them - so glad to hear they are doing well. Thank you so much for posting a photo...it was worth the wait!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
They may be okay together if raised and housed in a good sized cage. My fosters are pretty much related to someone in some way. We did initially have someone get booted every now and then...surprisingly all were girls but other than the two greenie brats in the cage the cause trouble every now and then, they do well. A double flight for four would be okay but you really should get something lots bigger.

In Chicago for the tasc bird expo. Come... - Natural Inspirations Parrot Cages | Facebook

A little foster cuteness from last night. Cheekie bum head warmer...

Last edited:

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
I wouldn't recommend having more than two to a cage. I hadn't even thought about the potential for inbreeding, but I do know that birds can get very territorial over their space, and unless they are bonded, other birds in their space tend to be a threat. Or at least, that is how it is in my house. West Side Story up in here, even on playstands/open areas. And goodness forbid if another bird goes into a cage that is not theirs.