• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Platforms--Pooping Habits

rk100

Moving in
I was curious if any of you have platforms in your cage(s) and if so, what sort of birds have you got and do they poop on them much
? A friend has two canaries and neither one poop on their in-cage platforms (they use them for eating and the only thing they leave on them is seed hulls and food crumbs--very tidy birds!!), but my mynah family birds and budgies poop indiscriminately and track through it
and it's quite a task keeping their cage platforms clean.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't have a platform perch inside of my 'toos cage but I have one attached on the outside. He never goes to the bathroom on it, but he's also potty trained. (I didn't teach him. He was like that when we adopted him.) So he only goes on his newspapers.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
My birds would poop on it for sure!
Lapis and Nube had their wooden box to sleep in til they were 7 months old, and they would get on top of it and poop all over the place, so I would never give them a platform as I know what will happen.
Adelie has a platform but it is made out of cardboard. She poops all over it and I toss it in the recycle box and replace it in her cage. Pictures - Adélies house set up | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum I am hoping she learns not to poop on it so I can put a wooden one in there.

Kodigirl210

Rollerblading along the road
Mine are 1/2 and 1/2. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don’t. It’s not consistent. They do tend to poop less In their cage than on their perch stand which is completely set up for them. They do not poop on the perch bars or food holder bars. Just below or in the case of the youngest - she shoots it off of the platform lol. We have nicknamed her PPK for Pistol Poop Kid :rofl:

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
My budgies poop on theirs constantly. I probably could have placed it more strategically. I don't even put food on it anymore really. I just place everything on the top of their cage, since they love being up high.

I'm probably going to take it out of their cage...my young cockatiel who is still learning how to perch and climb would probably get better use out of it...I also got her a platform that hangs outside of the cage because hers has a slanted top.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
My Sun Conure, Farlie, has one on his flip down play door but never poops there. He poops on one of the two perches away from his cage at the end over papers. He's basically taught himself where to poop. He's a tidy bird so to speak. He doesn't like pooping in his home.

Kodigirl210

Yes our newest girl Pippin will look at you, look at the cage she is standing on then turn around butt aimed away from the cage and fire..... :huh:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
My Australian Grass Parakeets Chipper & Pearl have 2 HAPPY HIPPO wooden platform perches , they poop all over them , I just hose them off and scrub occasionally with dish soap and dry in the sun. They do enjoy hanging out on them, it give their feet a rest .
happy hippo platform perch - Bing images

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:O That hippo platform is so cute!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Budgies poop anywhere, so a poopy platform is a given. My tiel prefers to poop into free air, so she'll back up and poop over the edge. I haven't researched but I'm sure all budgies and tiels have these same behaviours.

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
0AD341CA-E4F9-4D39-ABB3-F0F641C3C78D.jpeg

My birds have a wooden platform- as you can see there are poop markings!! So I have to regularly wipe things off and full on scrub it every couple of days (they also like to chew on it every now and again, or if I miss it for too long they’ll start to think it’s seeds or something and start picking at it- YUCK!)

I have witnessed Peaches back up so he can miss the platform and hit the bottom of the cage, but it might be because I was watching. Often when I come into their room I’ll find new poop there so they don’t seem to care too much about it on their own.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Budgies poop anywhere, so a poopy platform is a given. My tiel prefers to poop into free air, so she'll back up and poop over the edge. I haven't researched but I'm sure all budgies and tiels have these same behaviours.
Poopie is as poopie does'...
:marlenesmile: