• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Locations

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I just moved Mars' cage so it is next to Sunny's. Mars seemed a bit nervous at first, but now they are just looking at each other. I only moved it about 10 minutes ago.....with it being in the sun, I closed the blinds so they are not directly in the sun.....is it fine for them to in the direct sun, or is it best to close the blinds? Also should Mars cage be more level with Sunny's?

20190322_183909.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I would close the blinds when the sun is beaming in through glass - it is not the same as being in the sunshine.

If you can make the two cages level, do it. If you can´t then it´s ok, but try put perches level to each other.

Each day you can move them a few inches closer. I would keep 5cm gap between them minimum.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I just realized when Mars is out of his cage he sits on the top of it..... the mirror is right there! I will have to put a sheet over top of it when he is out, at least until he hangs out with us. Also if his cage goes much higher the mirror will be right behind it, so I can't put it higher.

Poor guy needs to get used to the setup. He went to fly back to where his cage was. He went to fly up to a chandalier (that was off), couldn't land there and almost fell. I rescued him and put him back in his cage. Whew!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
He will adapt quick. He knows his own cage. After a few days I´m sure he will be used to it being there :)

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He will adapt quick. He knows his own cage. After a few days I´m sure he will be used to it being there :)
I know he will :) ....I felt sorry for him flying to the old location and got scared that he might have hurt himself or I couldn't get him down.

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
It would have been easier to put the cages like that when they returned after being out of the house for those few days... but obviously hindsight is 20/20 :)

I´m really hoping this is the start of them being somewhat buddys :bliss: life is much easier when the flock gets on with each other.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
There was a reason I didn't. My plan was to do that, but Sunny had some feather growth and I didn't want to mess that up. Both seemed really interested in each other this week, so that's why I am niw.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
I just moved Mars' cage so it is next to Sunny's. Mars seemed a bit nervous at first, but now they are just looking at each other. I only moved it about 10 minutes ago.....with it being in the sun, I closed the blinds so they are not directly in the sun.....is it fine for them to in the direct sun, or is it best to close the blinds? Also should Mars cage be more level with Sunny's?

View attachment 299366
Direct sun is fine so long as there is a place they can go for shade. Cage being level shouldn't matter unless you are OCD like I am.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Direct sun is fine so long as there is a place they can go for shade.
I pull my cages forward into the sunshine coming in through my door, only when the glass isn´t in the way. And same, i make sure there is a spot of shade.
I don´t leave the cage in the sun coming through glass... but I´m in a hot area, so maybe that´s why :)
If you are in a cold country and the sun is not strong, it would be nice and warm.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Direct sun is fine so long as there is a place they can go for shade. Cage being level shouldn't matter unless you are OCD like I am.
It isn't very long when the sun is shining in and the time that it happens is constantly changing (it is the west window). Luckily we are home the majority of the time when this happens and we can close the blinds. If we happen to be out and we forget to close the blinds I am sure they will be fine.... annoyed, but fine.

I am going to change their cage setup today. Mars must have slept or been hanging out near Sunny's cage a lot. There is normally quite a bit of poop where he sleeps (opposite side of the cage) now it is on the other side near Sunny.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Mars must have slept or been hanging out near Sunny's cage a lot. There is normally quite a bit of poop where he sleeps (opposite side of the cage) now it is on the other side near Sunny.
A good sign :)

Budge the cages a little closer too.

Isn´t it funny how much poop helps tell us about our birds :roflmao:

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
You might want to consider cycling them through having different turns in both cages too. I’ve found when I had done this with my lovebirds, they stopped being so aggressively possessive towards each other since their territory was reset fairly often.

Other than that, you could keep an old fish tank thermometer near my bird cages to get a rough estimate of how the temperature fluctuates in relation to the weather.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
You might want to consider cycling them through having different turns in both cages too. I’ve found when I had done this with my lovebirds, they stopped being so aggressively possessive towards each other since their territory was reset fairly often.

Other than that, you could keep an old fish tank thermometer near my bird cages to get a rough estimate of how the temperature fluctuates in relation to the weather.
I gave away the fish thermometer when we sold the aquarium to make way for Mars! LOL

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I live in a region that doesn't get a lot of sun AND the way my apartment is situated I don't get much direct sunlight. So when it's sunny in the morning and I'm home, I put my birds' cages over by the window! Poor things don't need S.A.D. Like we humans. I've been considering one of those special lamps, but remain undecided.