• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Location

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have had one Lovebird (Sunny) for two years and just bought another Lovebird (Mars) a couple of days ago. Mars' cage is not in the best location, it is right outside a high traffic area in our house.

Should I switch locations for each bird or wait four more days until we take our Christmas tree down and put him directly beside Sunny's cage.... Sunny will be a little bit higher up though.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think it's much better to wait for the quarantine period to be over before moving Mars any closer to Sunny.
Is there another room Mars can go into for that period?

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Not that I can think of. Just a bedroom and that would be a tight fit and I'd prefer not to do that

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
It's only for 4 weeks. I'm thinking of both you and Sunny. How bad would you feel if Sunny was to get sick?
I'm not going to lecture you, you can do what you want. Just free common sense advice.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
This is the current location of both cages. It is a very wide open area, not an enclosed room.

Attachments

Feather

Avenue Veteran
By now the concept of quarantine is a moot point since the birds are already in the same room.

Does Mars seem bothered by all the traffic? Switching locations of the birds may just cause more stress for both, especially if Sunny has been used to having his cage where it is for two years.

I would just wait for the tree to be down, personally. Height dominance in birds is a myth, so it won't really matter if one is higher than the other when the cages are side by side.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I wasn't aware both birds were already in the same room. Kinda negates the quarantine.
So I'm with @Feather, there's no point stressing both birds now just to stress them again when the tree's down.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Mars does move a bit when we walk by, but it doesn't seem to be a scared mood....like when I put my hand in the cage to replace his food and thought
"I wonder if he'll step up on me"... then he flew all over the cage to get away from me. LOL

Thanks for the help. I'm sure things will be fine, I just worry about this stuff a lot. I did the same thing when Sunny came home and when I got my aquariums. My wife asked me if I would be this concerned if she was sick. LOL.

Thanks to everyone here for their patience with my many questions and worries.

Sunny&Mars

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I wasn't aware both birds were already in the same room. Kinda negates the quarantine.
So I'm with @Feather, there's no point stressing both birds now just to stress them again when the tree's down.
I think/hope things will be fine. I bought the bird from a reputable place, there is another place in town that I would be more concerned about illnesses.

Again - thanks for the advice. I guess in hindsight I should have posted these questions before the fact! Oh well - I am sure I am not the first or the last person to do this. At least I had enough sense to put them in separate cages!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I would still place the cages at even height, though, if they’re going to be next to each other.