• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage in front of window?

NailaZ

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Naila
Hi... i just got myself a new cockatiel for about 3 days.. he's already an adult.. and when i put his cage infront of my window , he keeps screaming and getting restless, like pacing back and forth.. (fyi the window scenery is full of trees and wild birds) so im not sure if i should keep putting him here or move him.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
For a bird in a new environment, being in front of a window will make it seem really vulnerable as there is a lot of new stuff on all sides, and they can't get away from it. I put new birds in a corner if possible for the added sense of security. If this is not an option, try, to cover 2 sides of the cage for now and then re-evaluate in a while. Some birds never like being in front of a window while others grow to love it.

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I brought my cockatiel to a new house and hung him by a big window and he didn't like it. Even bugs flying by freaked him out. I had to keep that side of his cage covered.

NailaZ

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Naila
Thank you for the replies :)
I put him to a corner just now.. but he's still restless pacing back n forth toward toward the window , as if he wants to go there (?)

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Can you position the Cage so that only a small part is exposed to the window for now?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Cover the cage so that least 2 sides (top, back & one side or both sides ) are covered so he has a corner to retreat & feel safe.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Has he been out of his cage yet? How big is his cage? He might be scared of the window, but if he still does this behavior when moved, the pacing could be because he wants to come out.

FlockofFive

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hi! It could be that he is afraid of all the things that are going outside the window. This could be the case especially because he is an adult bird, could it be that he was kept indoors with no view of the outside in his life before your home became his forever home? If so, you might want to start the introduction slowly by first keeping him on the wall across the window, and slowly moving him forward day by day. You can also try to associate his favorite treats with "window time" so he can learn to associate it with positive things. Eventually your bird will love being by the window, hopefully! Best of luck!

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Birds like to be able to see out the window, but also feel safe. If possible, I'd move the cage so he's across the room from the window (so he can still see out) or so only half the cage is in front of the window.

If that's the only spot for the cage, you can try placing something like some houseplants on the windowsill, between the cage and the window.

He will probably be less nervous about the window once he settles in, as well.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I brought my cockatiel to a new house and hung him by a big window and he didn't like it.
I am wondering if the previous owner gave you a cage that is too small for your tiel... Usually cages that hang are light in weight because they are smaller. Cockatiels often base when they feel cramped.
Pictures would better help us out though.

How long have you had your tiels? He/she may still be adjusting to the new environment.