• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage ideas for a disabled bird in a flock?

Astrona

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Vanessa
So I own 7 budgies. They are in a large cage when I am not home, or at night. I have plans to upgrade and build a mini in home aviary. The problem is, one of my budgies (Hana), I adopted. She was born without her flight feathers. She is also missing several toe nails. So I basically baby proofed the cage they are all in. With cushioned bottoms and many ways for her to get up and easier places for her to sit. She currently has no problems, aside from being unable to fly with the others when they leave the cage.
So now to the aviary bit. I know it will be too dangerous for her to be in a tall aviary, as she has already tried to follow her friends once in flight outside the cage. She fell and got a blood feather.

I wanted opinions or any ideas of what I should do if I move them to an aviary. Should Hana and a friend stay in a separate cage? Are there any ideas of how I can partially have her with the others in the aviary?
Do you think a deeper and longer cage but shorter in height would be a better idea?
I just dont want her alone and depressed, but I also dont want her getting hurt. And the upgrade is a must to give them the best space and happiest life. Even though they are out of the cage all day when I am home (except Hana who cannot fly. I give her play areas on the ground that she can have fun exploring and playing on).

And here are all but my newest baby budgie. Hana is on the bottom.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Such beautiful budgies! They are gorgeous. I'm sure they are going to love the aviary. Maybe instead of a walk-in style aviary, you can do a raised one, that is deep and long but not too high or raised well off the ground / on legs so that the internal height is not a great big drop? You might also brainstorm what you can put on the bottom to cushion the fall. Maybe if you had layers of cage papers (like many pages of newspapers stacked) it would be both hygienic because you could change the papers easily, but also serve to pad her falls (if any).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Very cute birds. Maybe add some platform perches?

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
What about keeping a seperate smaller 'aviary' inside that one on the ground, using guinea pig fencing or an aquarium on a small table to keep her in it but wide open, and put play stands and food dishes inside that section. Layer it with hay or blankets so that she is enclosed and 'safe' but without a roof so the other birds can visit her?

If you put large food dishes inside it... they will always visit her :p

I know people who keep disabled birds in open topped aquariums with plenty of floor space.