• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage for Catalina Macaw

Abbie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abbie
My new baby should be ready to come home in 1 to 2 weeks. We are going to a bird fair this weekend and hope to find a cage there, but I am also comparing cages and prices online (mostly Amazon as we will need it fast) and am having a terrible time deciding on what I want! What would you guys recommend for a catalina macaw? What cages do you have for your macaws? I would love to see pictures of them! Also if you happen to know of any place having a great sale on cages that would be great too! We are leaning toward a corner cage but aren't 100% sold on that yet.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I think, from what I've read, that the corner cages are hard to clean. I have an Animal Environments stainless steel that I bought 18-20 years ago. The only thing that is wrong with it is the cheapieplastic tray that came with it. I have the dometop cage (Macaw) Welcome to Animal Environments The other thing wrong with them is that they are terribly expensive now - I paid $1,600 for mine.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I honestly think it's extremely hard to find a quality cage unless you go custom. Bennett Imps have great cages - very spendy, but top of the line. Northwest Cages makes a stainless cage that's almost exactly like Animal Environments, but they were never very impressive to begin with. Expandable Habitats have very nice cages, functional cages (but they're not beautiful to look at) great customer service and they'll do anything you can think of. But shipping is a bear if you can't pick it up yourself (actually, it's so spendy and so ify that you SHOULD pick it yourself, no matter how far you have to drive.) Palace Cages in NY is also great quality, but they're made to order, so can take 8-12 weeks to get. I have one of these, and I love it but it can be hard to clean. Paul, the owner, will do anything you can think of - he's great - and these cages are beautiful too look at. If I was looking for a durable cage for a macaw, these are really the only 3 brands I'd consider. The initial output is high, but they'll last forever. Maybe you can request one as special Christmas gift??

G

Genie

Genie has a stainless steel cage. It is easy to clean & has no health issues.
It was around $1500, but I don't remember where I got it.
The bigger the cage, the better, in my opinion.
JEANNIE & HER NEW HOME  7 MAY 2007 002 (Medium).jpg

Abbie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Abbie
Thanks for your suggestions! I definitely want to get the biggest cage I can so for that reason stainless steel is out of the question for now. Anyone have any suggestions on powder coated cages? I have gone through every post on the cage set ups thread and also read the thread about the different cage brands, but didn't see many macaw cage set ups and would just like some real life opinions from people who have had the different cages. Many people say the corner cages are more difficult to clean, but I used to clean a corner cage (blue and gold belonging to my ex's mother) quite often and never found it to be difficult as it was so large I could just climb inside. Since I have experience with that cage I was leaning more toward that one, but am open to suggestions if there is a cage that some of you just absolutely love.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I actually do like the look of those centurion cages, especially for an outdoor area. I wonder how they hold up outside? I live in the PNW - we have serious rain. But I can't see myself spending $8000 for the stainless version (well, I can't see my husband liking that decision...)

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I'm sure I've posted a picture of Fritz's cage somewhere, do not go with a white coating!! his cage looks like crap all the time because the coating/paint has come off in spots. Go with something dark ;)

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
bird poop is hard on paint. I've taken some beeswax and rubbed it into those tight spots that are hard to keep clean, in the hope of decreasing rust over time.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I have the 62" in platinum color in my house. If you call Ron he can explain how he coats them for outside use.