• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CAGE CLEANING and DISINFECTING. How Often?

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael

I use Nature's Miracle for birds. Spray, let sit, wipe :)

I'll try that....after this long winter I'll take cage outside ( once we ever get decent weather) and give it a power wash. I clean once a week their cages, as they spend most of day away from it and on all other perches and play gyms. It's constant clean around here...lol.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you wash the cage down first? I wash the cage down first then I use a mixture of 3 cups hot water, 3 tbsp baking soda, and 3 tbsp lemon juice to disinfect. I think I might like to try F10. Where do you purchase it?

I buy it at the place I linked :)

I do wash first. Then spray the f10 and leave to dry. If you wash away disinfectants they do get a chance to do their work.

Baking soda is good for scrubbing, and the citrus in lemon is great for cleaning. However an effective disinfectant neither is, sadly.

The Great Lemon Debate: Does lemon juice clean or disinfect? | Modern Cleaning

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary

Glad I found someone who uses Nature’s Miracle Bird Spray.

Glad I found someone who uses Nature’s Miracle Bird Spray. I use both the wipes for every day cleanups and the spray for a deeper cleaning. I always rinse with water after using either but am wondering if it is necessary? Your input would be appreciated.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I buy it at the place I linked :)

I do wash first. Then spray the f10 and leave to dry. If you wash away disinfectants they do get a chance to do their work.

Baking soda is good for scrubbing, and the citrus in lemon is great for cleaning. However an effective disinfectant neither is, sadly.

The Great Lemon Debate: Does lemon juice clean or disinfect? | Modern Cleaning
Wow. Thanks for the input. So you don’t wash the disinfectant off but leave it on and let it dry? Interesting. I’d like to try it but I was hoping to buy it at a local pet shop. I hate ordering things. I’m going to see if one of the stores carries it.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Wow. Thanks for the input. So you don’t wash the disinfectant off but leave it on and let it dry? Interesting. I’d like to try it but I was hoping to buy it at a local pet shop. I hate ordering things. I’m going to see if one of the stores carries it.

I've never seen it at a pet shop sadly :( It actually is sometimes hard to find online even! You may be able to ask an exotics shop (reptiles specifically) if they can obtain it for you.

It's even been used by several people on this forum as a nebulizing treatment for their birds as it is that safe but effective.

Yes, disinfectants usually need a contact time of about 10 minutes to fully disinfect, otherwise it isn't able to do its job. The f10 directions state this as well.

I never rinse the Nature's Miracle, I just wipe dry, per the directions.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I've never seen it at a pet shop sadly :( It actually is sometimes hard to find online even! You may be able to ask an exotics shop (reptiles specifically) if they can obtain it for you.

It's even been used by several people on this forum as a nebulizing treatment for their birds as it is that safe but effective.

Yes, disinfectants usually need a contact time of about 10 minutes to fully disinfect, otherwise it isn't able to do its job. The f10 directions state this as well.

I never rinse the Nature's Miracle, I just wipe dry, per the directions.
I know the directions on Nature’s Miracle don’t say anything about rinsing but I was afraid and made sure to always rinse. Couldn’t find anyone who used it so I am very happy that you replied to my post for more then one reason. Thank you so much for being so kind and answering all my questions. You have given me a lot of insight.

PacificPaulie

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Meagan
@aqualover9
They're just regular disinfectant wipes... The ones without bleach. (Bleach is awful and gives me a serious respiratory and physical reaction. I don't allow it in the house.)

I usually wipe his cage outside so it can air out thoroughly.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Do you wash the cage down first? I wash the cage down first then I use a mixture of 3 cups hot water, 3 tbsp baking soda, and 3 tbsp lemon juice to disinfect. I think I might like to try F10. Where do you purchase it?
Actually, using baking soda (alkaline) together with vinegar or lemon juice (acid) is a waste since they anhiliate each other's effect and basically, you are washing with smelly water.
The point with using baking powder and vinegar/lemon is that very few germs/bacteria are able to survive in both basic and acid environment, so when you wash with one then the other, you are sure to have killed any germ, but using them together is useless.

Last edited: