• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bye Skinny Pete!

Beasley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maggie Beasley
When I rescued Sneaky Pete (2yo) he had plucked his chest bare and seemed to have plucked himself all over making him look perpetually skinny, especially beside my other two who are fluffy now 7mo babies.

Before:

B0D7903C-B77C-4E06-978C-B72A49A8A5B2.jpeg 7829D5C8-AC67-4825-8118-07787DC0E464.jpeg
*I didn’t take many photos that really showed his condition when he first came home

And today! (He was displeased with the camera) 06DE676F-DFA3-4C16-A135-8AEC2EB32238.jpeg 7CDA429E-FAA8-4E79-AFCB-987E4DFF968B.jpeg
Just look at that floofy loof!! :heart::heart: I’m so proud of my little man! :xflove:

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
How old was Sneaky Pete when you rescued him? Did you get a vet to evaluate him recently?

He looks much better than he did, but I would say his beak seems a touch overgrown. This could be a sign of an underlying health condition. Sometimes these conditions can also cause feather picking/plucking. Though for all I know he is already getting help in this department :)

He is super cute! My favourite parrotlet colourations are the greens.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
A big improvement :) Nice to see he is getting plump and fluffy again! He´s a beautiful bird ❤

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
His beak is overgrown in my opinion too. I’ve changed his toys up to encourage a lot more chewing. He was vet evaluated by the rescue before I took him home. He started plucking after his family dumped him. I volunteered at the rescue and a friend rescued, quarantined, and gave him to me. So I have known him since the day after he came to the rescue this January :heart:

I never saw him pluck himself once in all the time I’ve had him with me. Still, we’ve got an appointment with the AV in two weeks ;) just to make sure he’s on track. He usually only plays with this one toy that he spends most of the day hiding in. I took it away from him hoping to encourage him to investigate his nice big cage and other toys but that’s when his beak started to go wonky :( He has his favorite toy back now along with some new places to hide and chew and he’s actually exploring them! He is a very sweet snuggly boy and he’ll run right up your arm when you open his cage, but when he’s in there it’s like he’s actively trying to be invisible.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
How old was Sneaky Pete when you rescued him?
Sorry, I forgot to answer this question! He was just over a year and a half in Jan so he should be 2 as of this month!

Do you think 2 weeks is too long to wait? I have a new AV and I know she could get us in quicker. I had already scheduled Sneaky Pete with our usual AV when I found out this Monday in the midst of an (unrelated) emergency that they only have an AV available on certain days :rage: I love and trust them, but that’s unacceptable for an AV.

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Good job! Sneaky Pete is a lucky guy!

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@Beasley If the vet you trust is available in two weeks I think you are ok to wait. Parrotlets are fragile in the vet office. So I would go to the person I trust.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
@Beasley If the vet you trust is available in two weeks I think you are ok to wait. Parrotlets are fragile in the vet office. So I would go to the person I trust.
Thank you so much for your comment. I decided I should absolutely take him to the Exotic Vet I found, their office is way more mellow. They do not see cats or dogs; it was a huge relief to be in a waiting room without an out of control adult sized puppy (there’s always one) adding to the stress on an already very sensitive animal. I plan on making the switch to them for my fids, bunny, and tortoise. I’ve not known them for years like my other vet but based on my experience with them, they have my complete trust.

Beasley

Real Name
Maggie Beasley
Oops! oh no I didn’t mean to scare anyone with the title!! Only Pete’s extremely skinny days are gone ;) hopefully we’ll never see him that scrawny again. It hurt to see my Sneaky Pete looking so naked and tiny :wacky: I got excited about my healthy little poof, I didn’t see how scary my title looks :omg: