• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Buying the type of rope that comes with bird toys?

HotSauce

Moving in
You know the kind of white rope that is usually about an inch thick? Often comes in bird playsets. I would like to buy a few feet of this rope as my birds love it but they tear it apart pretty quickly.

Screenshot_20230902_020542.jpg

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I would highly advise against this. This is cotton, which can be unsafe. It can snag their nails, or if they swallow it can cause impactions. If your birds like that texture, try crinkle paper, corn paper, or raffia :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I buy sea grass plaits for my birds to destroy which they enjoy, they are thick like the rope,

I also get a banana leaf one that looks similar but the texture is more similar to raffia.

OrangIsld

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jackson
I personally use jute or sisal rope - seagrass is also an option. Dont use cotton, that causes impaction

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
There used to be a product called "Superior Rope" that I can't find much about. It is a short fiber cotton.
used to be sold here https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Cotton-Rope-Inch-Bulk/dp/B006PUVCPQ
still probably sold here, but small diameter Superior Cotton Rope, 1/4
anyone have other sources?
anyway my vet is not too worried about impaction caused by natural fibers like cotton, it is polyester that is the big problem.
I'm going to post a thread that links her articles.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
There used to be a product called "Superior Rope" that I can't find much about. It is a short fiber cotton.
used to be sold here https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Cotton-Rope-Inch-Bulk/dp/B006PUVCPQ.
anyway my vet is not too worried about impaction caused by natural fibers like cotton, it is polyester that is the big problem.
The lady that had this manufactured and also sold this specific cotton rope has passed away.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
used to be sold here https://www.amazon.com/Superior-Cotton-Rope-Inch-Bulk/dp/B006PUVCPQ
I am happy to say that I have found a new supplier for short fiber all natural cotton rope. You can find the rope using the following link:

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Way, way back in the beginning like in 2002, there use to be a place called Odyssey Productions, they sold wholesale to bird toy makers and they were the original supplier of the "Supreme Cotton Rope" as well as the original "Paulie Rope". Then they closed up and sold it to someone else. Not sure if it was sold off to Berger's Baby Birds but it was renamed "Superior Cotton Rope" as well as the Paulie Rope was renamed. Both these ropes were considered to be the safer bird ropes.

Ann - do you remember Odyssey Productions? I think they were in Texas.

A lot of bird toy makers have got away from using cotton ropes because it is kind of true that cotton ropes can cause problems to birds especially the stringy type cotton ropes.

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Way, way back in the beginning like in 2002, there use to be a place called Odyssey Productions, they sold wholesale to bird toy makers and they were the original supplier of the "Supreme Cotton Rope" as well as the original "Paulie Rope". Then they closed up and sold it to someone else. Not sure if it was sold off to Berger's Baby Birds but it was renamed "Superior Cotton Rope" as well as the Paulie Rope was renamed. Both these ropes were considered to be the safer bird ropes.

Ann - do you remember Odyssey Productions? I think they were in Texas.

A lot of bird toy makers have got away from using cotton ropes because it is kind of true that cotton ropes can cause problems to birds especially the stringy type cotton ropes.
I remember Nalani Bird Toys selling the cotton and paulie rope. I dont remeber Odyssey as this was before my time owning California Bird Nerds. Bergers Baby Birds introduced their own deisgn on it and added some other colors.
The cotton rope that I carry the fibers pull apart. This is considered the best option for toy makers that prefer to use cotton rope.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I remember many bird toy/supply companies that are now gone. I remember when Odyssey came out with Paulie Rope. I bought 3 spools. Nalani, Odyssey, Berger's Baby Birds, Dr. Fosters & Smith, The Parrot Tower, JB Pet, Discount Bird Supply, etc. Plus many more companies are no more. I used to get several catalogs a month from many companies. Dr. Fosters & Smith bought out at least 3 companies & then Pet Co bought our Dr. Fosters & Smith. Nalani moved to Florida & not long after closed. Same with bird cage companies. California Cage & CA cage, Swelland's Aviaries, etc. It's sad we've lost so many good bird toy/supply companies.

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
LOL Toy - Yah I too remember all those places. I use to buy aviary supplies and such from California Cage Works and Swelland's. Do you remember UPCO? There was a place going somewhere down as you go towards San Diego and I can not recall the name of the place, they were more on wire mesh, cage rings, j-clips, crocks and such. We bought from them in the 1980-90's.

Nalani's was based in Florida. I know back in the day, they would have purchased the Supreme Rope from Odyssey to sell.

I agree so, so many businesses have gone out of biz.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I remember Nalani Bird Toys selling the cotton and paulie rope. I dont remeber Odyssey as this was before my time owning California Bird Nerds. Bergers Baby Birds introduced their own deisgn on it and added some other colors.
The cotton rope that I carry the fibers pull apart. This is considered the best option for toy makers that prefer to use cotton rope.
Nalani toys is where I used to buy the rope from.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
LOL Toy - Yah I too remember all those places. I use to buy aviary supplies and such from California Cage Works and Swelland's. Do you remember UPCO? There was a place going somewhere down as you go towards San Diego and I can not recall the name of the place, they were more on wire mesh, cage rings, j-clips, crocks and such. We bought from them in the 1980-90's.

Nalani's was based in Florida. I know back in the day, they would have purchased the Supreme Rope from Odyssey to sell.

I agree so, so many businesses have gone out of biz.
I used to buy some of my dog grooming supplies from UPCO. They are still in business.

PetFoster

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Julie
Can I put in a personal (unpaid! I promise!) plug for CA Bird Nerds? I get almost ALL of my toy making supplies from this great company (who also posted on this thread). I like to use only natural items for my own birds, and for what I order, they have the best prices overall. My preference is working with their paper rope, but there are a number of different items you could use instead of the cotton rope. Sisal, sea grass, leather and paper are all great choices, and I have had different birds of varying species have fun picking apart all of them! (Haven't tried the coconut rope yet, but they have that as well!)

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Can I put in a personal (unpaid! I promise!) plug for CA Bird Nerds? I get almost ALL of my toy making supplies from this great company (who also posted on this thread). I like to use only natural items for my own birds, and for what I order, they have the best prices overall. My preference is working with their paper rope, but there are a number of different items you could use instead of the cotton rope. Sisal, sea grass, leather and paper are all great choices, and I have had different birds of varying species have fun picking apart all of them! (Haven't tried the coconut rope yet, but they have that as well!)
Thank you so much :heart: