• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Butcher bird/fiscal shrike

BearMarais

Moving in
Real Name
Kathleen
Hi everyone.
a couple of days ago a small fiscal shrike/butcher bird came into my care.
She’s eating very well and seems healthy but my concern is that she doesn’t seem to use her legs much and sits tucked in her ‘nest’ all day. She also can’t grip my finger but her toes can move. She was hopping when I first got her because she was trying to escape but she’s now calm and doesn’t try escape anymore.
I know it’s only been 2 days with her, but I’m not familiar with this species.
if anyone is familiar with them, is this normal for a bird this age? I have uploaded a photo. I have no idea how old this bird is. She has feathers but a very short tail so I don’t know if she’s still a nestling, because if she is still a nestling then I assume staying still all day is normal?
Any help would be so very much appreciated!

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It has a lot of feathers.. I would guess more of a fledgling than a nestling, but I'm not familiar with them either.

BearMarais

Moving in
Real Name
Kathleen
It has a lot of feathers.. I would guess more of a fledgling than a nestling, but I'm not familiar with them either.
My thoughts too.
maybe she’s still getting used to her new surroundings.
im just concerned that her legs could be impaired. Really hope not.