• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Busy (knot) Boxes

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I had a busy morning, making little busy (knot) boxes to show @cassiesdad . I made some little ones also. I am use to making these from a lot bigger boxes that I get from Dr. Barb's clinic. all of her meds in bottles come in little individual boxes packed into bigger boxes; some come 6 little boxes, 8 little boxes, 10 little boxes or 12 little boxes to larger cardboard boxes.
but I used something different today. Lipton tea in the 100 bag box now come in little boxes of 25 tea bags wrapped in cellophane. after a phone call to Lipton to find if these little boxes are food safe/ glue is food safe. they are. I started using them for toy boxes in Sweet Pea's cage. She thinks it's great fun to tip them over and pitch her toys to the floor.
this is what you will need to make these little busy boxes.
4 little Lipton tea inner boxes
1 hole punch; small sized holes
one very large eyed needle; the longer the better
Jute or Butcher's cotton twine
Dollar tree shred or shredded newsprint
embellishments for the outside of each boxes
treats for the inside, nuts in their shell, Nutriaberries, dried bird safe fruit/ veggies, popped popcorn
one pear shaped closable link
(sorry some of these pictures are fuzzy)
IMG_0006.JPG
this is the starting box before either cutting in half or punching with holes
if you cut in half do it before punching out the holes
IMG_0005.JPG
you can be very random in the hole punching or very deliberate; both will work. the hole punching takes the most time and save those little holes for inside of the busy box. your hole punch will only go so far into the box so make sure to put enough holes to sew thru.
IMG_0003.JPG
the little boxes will fit into one another, just make sure that the ends match with not sticky out sharp point.
the larger boxes will also fit into the other don't squish them tight just match the holes together.
inside one side of the box put in the shred and make a little nest cavity for some treats. the other side fill with more shred and pieces of cut paper straws pieces, something to make it interesting. even little pieces of wood, dices, wooden blocks from Petco, parrot candy from TnT toys, bottle caps washed from water bottles, just something to search for.
cut your Jute or butcher's twine to double,one thread on each side of the needle and thread your needle, . you are going to want put a double wrap loop type knot at the end. you want a knot that will not pull thru the holes easily. you will sew over casting stitches thru those holes on the sides and ends of the box.
IMG_0020.JPG
see the stitches on the ends, make those tight enough to pull the box ends together but not so tight to rip thru the holes. some of the shred will pull thru those holes, just more fun for your feathered friend to play with.
with the end of each side completed punch hole with needle tip thru white space left on the side. cut the jute or twine close to the needle's eye and leave it hanging. this will be how attach the embellishments on sides of small boxes.
the larger box you want to match the holes together and sew up the middle, after you fill it with shred, treats and something to play with.
IMG_0017.JPG
on the little boxes tie your embellishments to the corner without the holes. @TNT parrot candy there is holes in the centers of the wrapped candy, great for tying on to the sides of boxes. Thank you Jen
IMG_0021.JPG
on the bigger boxes to sew thru the sides for embellishments, take & punch each hole one at time add your embellishment then punch the hole on the other side add the embellishment sew back and forth from bottom to top.
now add the loop for top, by using large knot and punching thru one side and hiding the knot and tie slipknot and add pear shaped closable link thru slipknot. hang from the top or sides of your feathered buddies cage.
any question??

jen2016

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Wow! This is a great idea! How fun for any sized flock(though materials would change a bit depending on beak strength). I definitely want to try this out too! Thank you for sharing!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for posting this.