• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bully Budgies

gabe_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabriel
Hi there everyone, I’ve been having trouble with my three budgies because two of them have bonded and have begun to attack the other, and it’s gotten worse. Nothing serious yet, but if I don’t act now it could get worse. I want to place her in a new cage but first off she’s the most skittish and doesnt leave the cage. I’m also getting a cockatiel in a week or two, but it’ll have to be separate. How should I go about the situation? I need the fighting to stop but I dont want her to get stressed about being lonely. I also can’t put her with the tiel because it will be new and start adjusting too. How should i go about the situation? I could possibly in the future introduce her and the tiel to live together but that will have to wait until the’re both fully tamed and okay being in the same room together.

gabe_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabriel
Hi there everyone, I’ve been having trouble with my three budgies because two of them have bonded and have begun to attack the other, and it’s gotten worse. Nothing serious yet, but if I don’t act now it could get worse. I want to place her in a new cage but first off she’s the most skittish and doesnt leave the cage. I’m also getting a cockatiel in a week or two, but it’ll have to be separate. How should I go about the situation? I need the fighting to stop but I dont want her to get stressed about being lonely. I also can’t put her with the tiel because it will be new and start adjusting too. How should i go about the situation? I could possibly in the future introduce her and the tiel to live together but that will have to wait until the’re both fully tamed and okay being in the same room together.
Also, I realize i asked the question twice haha, but i’m very worried so anything really helps!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I suggest you take the bonded pair out to a new cage that way the other one will have less stress staying in same place. Three is not a good number in the bird world. One is always left out. You must quarantine any new bird for 30 days and we told you that before. Why are you getting another bird when you can't afford vet care and still having problems with housing your budgies? Please consider learning more about bird care by volunteering at a bird rescue. I think you should let your parents read all your postings and responses.

Last edited:

gabe_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabriel
I suggest you take the bonded pair out to a new cage that way the other one will have less stress staying in same place. Three is not a good number in the bird world. One is always left out. You must quarantine any new bird for 30 days and we told you that before. Why are you getting another bird when you can't afford vet care and still having problems with housing your budgies? Please consider learning more about bird care by volunteering at a bird rescue. I think you should let your parents read all your postings and responses.
Thank you for your reply. I have talked to my parents and we will not be getting the tiel for a while. I will instead focus on the budgies, and as for the vet care i’m using my christmas money to pay for their check ups. My plan is to take them after christmas because the vet offices are closed the day of.

gabe_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabriel
Thank you for your reply. I have talked to my parents and we will not be getting the tiel for a while. I will instead focus on the budgies, and as for the vet care i’m using my christmas money to pay for their check ups. My plan is to take them after christmas because the vet offices are closed the day of.
I think it’s best to just keep it at these three for a while and see how they do. In the future I am considering getting a tiel but I would have to get these three settled in properly. I never actually wanted more than one, but my mom brought home three not knowing that it would cause problems down the road. I guess you live and learn, and I will definitely make sure these theee keets get the best treatment they deserve.

LittleBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
DodoBudge
I'd suggest splitting up the two bonded birds to a different cage (like Jane) but keep them close by so that they can still talk and communicate. For the lonely thing... maybe get the lone budgie some new toys, or make some DIY ones yourself. Splitting her mates away from her might actually be better if your still trying to tame her because instead of her bonding more to her pals, she will bond more to you. If you're going to get a new friend for her, try getting a hand-raised baby. I've had an untamed budgie once and got it a hand-raised pal. She saw how the tame one interacted with me (e.g. stood on my finger, wasn't afraid of my hand and so on) and warmed up A LOT faster than others in the same situation. Good luck!
:hug8:

gabe_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Gabriel
I'd suggest splitting up the two bonded birds to a different cage (like Jane) but keep them close by so that they can still talk and communicate. For the lonely thing... maybe get the lone budgie some new toys, or make some DIY ones yourself. Splitting her mates away from her might actually be better if your still trying to tame her because instead of her bonding more to her pals, she will bond more to you. If you're going to get a new friend for her, try getting a hand-raised baby. I've had an untamed budgie once and got it a hand-raised pal. She saw how the tame one interacted with me (e.g. stood on my finger, wasn't afraid of my hand and so on) and warmed up A LOT faster than others in the same situation. Good luck!
:hug8:
Thanks for the suggestion! Yes I am looking into a good cage to put the pair in so they stop picking on the other one. I want to get a hand fed tiel in the future, and although i was planning to get one soon i see that it will have to wait till their situation calms down. I’d like to see how they react to a tame bird hanging out with me one day, I know that’s a great way to get them to trust you.