• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgies Moving Forward

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Checking in on updates at the vet. Fingers crossed it all went well

Tweeky

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kathleen
Does anyone have any news of Anne's beloved cockatiels?

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Well, we're all back home now. After our vet visit with the Budgie Trio, we came home, I settled them back into their cages, and off I went to the pediatrician with my other Trio - that is, my human kids for booster vaccines :lol: So, needless to say, it's been a long and busy day, and we just got back :D

Believe it or not, the girls did better than Boy Blue, who jerked away just as the needle was going into his jugular, for the blood collection, and Dr. Korver had to re-insert it, but all around, they were terrific troopers. I kept them there for half an hour after the procedure while Dr. Korver placed the heat lamp over their travel cages to help them recover from their experience but they were all perky again after ten minutes and eating.

So all budgies received their Avian Physical examinations, Fecal Smear tests, Gram Stain tests as well as Avian Bacterial/Viral DNA Profile (test for Polyomavirus, Beak and Feather Disease and Chlamydia-Psittacosis), DNA Borna Virus - (B.D.V.) test, and Avian Profile 1 (test for organ function/acid levels/liver/kidneys).

So now, they are all resting in their cages back in my bedroom, and I think I will leave them alone for today before socializing with them again tomorrow :D Now we wait for test results to come in :geek:

I was nervous until the drive home :unsure1: but now feel much better that this experience is behind them. I am very grateful to all of you who supported this cause. I REALLY did not want to take them in today just for physical exams that could not provide the diagnostic testing that is required. I did not want to have to take them in for a second visit to complete blood work and put them through the stress of being handled by Dr. Korver again. It is much less stressful for them to have gone through this stress once to complete all testing.

Again, thank you all for your support, and I will be reporting on results as they come in within the week :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
i'm so glad it went well. did the DR say how long it would be b/4 you hear anything ?
:tiel2: and his mom

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
i'm so glad it went well. did the DR say how long it would be b/4 you hear anything ?
:tiel2: and his mom

Two to three days for Fecal Smears and Gram Stains, and less than a week for all blood work. The Borna Virus DNA Test was a last minute decision on my part, as I wanted to be as complete as possible, and my guys had been tested for that as well. Just wanted the same for these guys.

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Considering the success you have had with these supposed wild budgies in such a short time, we are going to have to start calling YOU the bird whisperer! ... :hug8:
Um... I think that "title" would be best kept in the past :cautious: But thank you for the compliment :) All I am doing is offering them daily but limited out-of-cage time, with regular invites to step up onto my finger :D

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
No worries Maureen :hug8: I only do with these budgies what I do with my original flock every day. Although, by the disgruntled sounds coming from the bird room this past week, I bet they beg to differ, and are not too happy having to share their mommy time with three feathered strangers they can only hear and not see :meh:

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Thank you Sylvia .. for everything you've done for them. You know how I feel. :hug8: :hug8: :heart: :heart: :hug8: :hug8:
And you know how I feel about all your assistance and support through this challenging process, Merlie :hug8: Thank you so very much. I could not have reached my goal without your help :hug8: :heart: :hug8:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I am so glad to hear the vest visit went well Sylvia, praying all the test results come back good and they can just move on to having a wonderful life with you and your family