• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgies Moving Forward

Lovebird Lady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
I can definitely see similarties :lol:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Have a great vacation. I have a feeling the budgies will completely dazzle everyone there. :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you so much for keeping us updated. I'm glad Jacqueline is improving. :) I suspect she and Alice will come around eventually. A lot of big changes for these little birds. I think at some point they will realize- hey- these humans are nice. :) Have a nice vacation!

Tweeky

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Kathleen
Oh this is all such good news!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
hope you and budgie crew and family are having great vacation

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
hope you and budgie crew and family are having great vacation.
:tiel2: and mom

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Little velaciraptor.. :hehe: Anne's cracking up. Thank you for all your doing. :hug8:

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
So, we are back from our one week's vacation visiting with my parents in another Province - Quebec - five hours drive back home to Ontario, with the budgies yesterday. They are wonderful little travellers, chattering excitedly at the passing cars outside our car windows from their travel cages. Their out-of-cage time was very limited at my parents' home, compared to what they are used to at our home, largely due to my parents' home not being bird-proof, with hanging chandeliers and large windows with which they can injure themselves. Their cages were kept in the family room/kitchen area where they took in all the daily action of the family, a lot more action than they get in my bedroom, lol! I'm not sure what they made of this change, but they appeared excited at the daily family interactions that they witnessed and the French television going on most of the day.

While my parents appreciated the much softer vocalizations of the budgies compared to my larger flock members, and found Little Boy Blue to have beautiful coloring, being the typical non-bird people that they are, they could not understand my personal and financial interest and commitment in three additional birds, on top of my original flock, which they believe to be large enough. They have always thought that we have too many animals at our home and never understood our taking in rescue animals in need (dogs and cats) or my passion for parrots.

Jacqueline continues to fight me, literally, each time I medicate her, which I don't expect will change. I received a telephone call from Dr. Korver while we were away, stating that she is very happy to see Jacqueline's liver enzymes/bile acid levels decrease significantly, from 228 on July 23, 2014 to 13 on August 14th (normal range is less than 80), and stated that because Jacqueline's liver responded so significantly to the Baytril antibiotic, she highly doubts that the disease testing for Chlamydia/Psittacosis result was a "false" negative, and that in fact, Jacqueline's liver results were due to a gastro-intestinal bacteria resulting from unclean drinking water and food over a long period of time.

Dr. Korver is concerned by the increase in Jacqueline's white blood cell count, from 4.1 on July 23, 2014 to 8.4 on August 14th (normal range is between 1.9 to 9.9), which is why she prescribed an extra two weeks of Baytril antibiotics, and then we booked Jacqueline in for another blood test on Saturday, August 30, 2014, to retest her white blood cell count.

Here are some more pics of the budgies getting ready for our trip. I did not take any pics during the trip so as not to further upset the camera-shy budgies with all the changes they were subjected to during the trip.

IMG_0546.JPG 0726141424a.jpg

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Did the Vet suggest giving her probiotics since she is going to be on antibiotics for an extensive period of time?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Thanks for the update and I'm glad that you had a great vacation. Thank you for also taking such good care of Jacqueline. I remember giving my tiel Buddy meds and it was an ordeal for both of us. I sympathize with the comments from your parents. Unless they have a bird, they don't realize what personalities they have and how hard it is not to help ones in need. :hug8: :hug8:

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
Did the Vet suggest giving her probiotics since she is going to be on antibiotics for an extensive period of time?
I will need to ask Dr. Korver about probiotics. She has, so far, not mentioned anything about this, but when I showed her these products below that I purchased, she advised me to use the Milk Thistle/Dandelion Liver Detox on Jacqueline, but not the System Detox, because the latter had too many ingredients that would need to be studied beforehand, to ensure that they work well together, in a beneficial manner, and she was not familiar with those ingredients.

0729141808b.jpg

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
... I sympathize with the comments from your parents. Unless they have a bird, they don't realize what personalities they have and how hard it is not to help ones in need. :hug8: :hug8:

Yes, I can't believe how different our views are regarding parrots. My parents are more dog people, and are always saying that a dog's love doesn't compare to a bird's. Yet each time that I have gone to visit them with my flock in the past, and they have seen all my fids fly to my shoulder and seek my attention as soon as I open their cage doors and walk away, they continue to deny that this behaviour is a display of affection on my fids' part. They are not able to get past the flying feather down and poops on my shoulders :rolleyes: I keep telling them that they may not be able to see this affection towards me from my fids, but I DEFINITELY feel it :xflove: and it's not my imagination. In a way, it's a good thing that we only visit Quebec once or twice per year, because wherever I go, if my husband cannot stay home to care for part of the flock and pack, then they all come with us, and this is what we do when we go camping as a family at our trailer park. The fids seem to adjust really well to much smaller carrier cages when we go camping for a week or two, than if they had to stay home in their regular cages being cared for by a stranger bird-sitter, whom I could not totally trust.

Willow12

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Holly
WOW!! I am reading all of this and I am so happy too here that your crew is doing so well!! they all look beautiful and just breath taking! Herbal Birds Liver Detox I use it myself! on all my birds and it does help them!. :hug8:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad you had a good trip and that the budgies did well! Just as an fyi, my vet always gives probiotics to my tiel when he's on antibiotics to help keep his good bacteria level in tact. It might be something to ask you vet about for Jacqueline.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
As I've mentioned before, probiotics are a very good idea, in fact, I usually give them to Ceddy once a week (with her vet's blessings) and during moulting daily since moults seems to lower her immune system and she tends to be prone to tummy upsets during moulting.

However, I believe some vets say probiotics should not be given at the same time as antibiotics but after the antibiotics are finished. But do ask you vet about them either, they certainly will help her digestive system.