• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent budgies keep itching

kohleyes

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi not sure how this works because it’s my first time using this but i got my first budgies yesterday talked to the pet shop owner and he told me how to care for them and stuff kiwi is 8 weeks and bo is 12 weeks they were fine when i picked them up from the pet shop and brought them home cage was cleaned before putting them in and everything in it is pretty much new they were shy yesterday but seemed to play and eat from my hands however today i’ve noticed they’ve started to itch A LOT even doing it as i type this right now worried they mostly itch beneath their wings and on their chest and also have some feather loss they barely played today too i’m not sure where they got them from i’ve emailed vets and will try to treat it tomorrow using mite/lice spray anyone know what they could have gotten this from i fed them seeds from the pet shop and bird millet yesterday i did suspect the millet but i’m unsure if they can even carry mite/lice, also could’ve been from the pet shop but they weren’t itching at all yesterday or barely, trying to make sure this is prevented in the future, they’re also kept in a dry place in my house with nowhere they could’ve gotten mites from advice pls also i don’t want to scare them during the treatment since they barely know me so any advice for making them more comfortable would also be appreciated screenshots from a video where i caught him itching if it helps

Attachments

kohleyes

also if there’s anything i can do to relieve their itching rn PLEASE let me know kiwis feathers under his chin have lifted from him moving his head around so much

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Are you certain they have mites? Birds preen a lot and tidy up feathers so they are often busy messing about in them.

kohleyes

Are you certain they have mites? Birds preen a lot and tidy up feathers so they are often busy messing about in them.
pretty sure they’ve been doing it all day long but at the same time kiwi has pin feathers growing in now so maybe that? but i absolutely saw something crawling at the bottom of their cage so that led me to believe it is either mites or lice

kohleyes

okay after a lot of watching i think they are grooming themselves i was just really paranoid cuz it’s my first time, thank u for helping me out