• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie with suddenly bald head

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Hey.. long time no post..
Just went to feed the budgies today and Vermhat has developed a serious receeding hairline basically over night!

Does this look like it is just a heavy/patchy moult?
I did not notice this yesterday when I fed and watered them. Sadly I didn't hold him or anything yesterday so I can't be certain. I did have hands on him to know he was absolutely fine last week.
Yesterday I did vacuum up a bunch of tiny feathers but between the two of them (him and Cypress) that is pretty normal.
They've lived together like a year now and never fought or picked at each other so I would be really surprised if Cypress did it.

Should I start worrying?
He isn't bald anywhere else! Looking a little rough around the wings though like some feathers are loose or ruffled out of place.

Attachments

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
@Ripshod @Sparkles99 @Lady Jane

I know pip (gcc)had very bald patches on his head when he molted first couple of months here scared me too I took him to vets and he was fine but your poor baby as quite a big patch hopefullly others can help you better

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Winston moults dramatically on the head like this too. It’s getting more dramatic as he ages. He’s 5 years old.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Is it possible your bird got hurt? Rupert had a bald patch from a wound (we weren’t sure how it happened).

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I see pin feathers poking up, so if it were due to a wound, would they really pop up that fast?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I see pin feathers poking up, so if it were due to a wound, would they really pop up that fast?
Rupert’s sprouts popped up quite quickly (within days) of the incident.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Looks like he crashed into something, possibly trying to fly in the dark and hitting something in the cage. I can still see the roots still in the skin so not plucking. Has the cage layout been changed at all recently? Monitor the situation and don't worry too much.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is this bird in a cage with other budgies?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I agree with Ripshod about a crash. Only time I’ve seen any of my budgies with that much of a bald patch was after a big crash- they regrow pretty fast.

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Looks like he crashed into something, possibly trying to fly in the dark and hitting something in the cage. I can still see the roots still in the skin so not plucking. Has the cage layout been changed at all recently? Monitor the situation and don't worry too much.
Nope, I haven't changed anything recently :(
Poor little guy!

Elysian

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Is it possible your bird got hurt? Rupert had a bald patch from a wound (we weren’t sure how it happened).
Their cage is right behind my work desk and even when out they don't venture far from it, so I should have heard if something happened during the day. but anything is possible at night.