• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie playgym?

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Hi all!!! I posted a few months ago because I was moving and hoping to get a budgie...now I'm all moved in and we are set to find a little budgie! Exciting times.

My question is for you experienced budgie owners, if you have any tips/preferences/experiences with these "budgie playgyms?" I will have a large cage with toys for him or her, but am thinking to either invest or even make (partner is a builder) a stand or "play gym" for it to use as well.

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Please consider getting a pair of budgies. Two males can live together well. A play stand is a great idea. I have a nice one on top of the flat top flight cage and my birds adore playing there. Before you invest in a bird please make sure you have an avian vet within driving distance. This is very important.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
First, congratulations on being done with the move and getting your new budgie! I love them (mine is called Hawk and is 11 years old!). I think a play gym or stand is a great idea. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I do have a few play stands and gyms available in my shop if you'd like to check them out. But there are many options out there. I would just make sure to get one that is as natural as possible (meaning, real wood, safe beads, materials, etc). Hope this helps and congrats again!!

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
We are planning on getting a second budgie, but were going to get one first to train and get to know before introducing a second. I have done this before and it worked well for me
Make sure to quarantine the new bird before introducing them.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That is the way I got my two. It works well. I did not have to quarantine because they were from the same breeder.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Exciting for sure Stacie! I can't wait to see your new friend when you get him/her!

Coelle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicole
Yay how exciting!! Personally I have found that my two do not use their play stand at all, they play in the blinds. It's a fun game we play. They scurry around between the blinds, try to eat the cords holding the blinds together, I tell them off for eating my blinds, they ignore me, I tell them off again, they get salty and dive bomb my head. It's great. Avo also hops down onto the arm of the couch and tries to eat the little printed flowers, hurray for foraging fun!

But for real, they do not care about their play stand at all. I've hung toys and set up a number of different perches on the outside of their cage that they love playing on though, so I guess that could be seen as a play stand.

I think it really just comes down to the specific bird at the end of the day. So I'd say a play stand is an awesome idea, as long as you're okay with the idea of you bird not caring about it :p.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The play stand my birds have is loved by both. They play with their chew toys, climb the ladder to sit up high. So I think a play stand is good for budgies.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I think we will have a go at making one :) we are going to see a breeder on the weekend, hopefully we come home with a new family member!

In my imagination I picture a low playgym on the ground but it will have to be much higher. I think it's because the budgies I had years ago loved running around on the floor even though they could fly perfectly well.

If the bird isn't into it thats ok, at least we tried!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Be careful, the floor is definitely not a safe place for a bird of any size. Often we drop things that may be sharp or the bird will find items that have been on the floor for a while that are not safe. I don't recommend bird floor play.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
this is our "playstand". They love to be up there, and I got newspaper on the top of the cupboard, makes for a short cleaning day!

20190220_230824.jpg

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
thanks! It is just a long branch from outside and several small ones, hanging from the wall, roof and curtain bar with fishing line. The fishing line from the roof has some post it on it so the birds see it when flying!
Didn't cost me a penny, and fun to do. In Summertime, I add some twigs with leaves they can eat too. One Winter I had a twig of Xmas tree but my curious little Tikki being dead it didn't work, although Merlin ha tried it before he is not bold enough to try it on his own and his new friend was scared of it so they never approached it