• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie must haves?

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I hope he recovers quickly! You are going to have a lot of fun with him! Did you see him ill at the pet store?
no, i didn't see that he was ill, but figured that might be the case because he was being chased and bitten at relentlessly. after they offered to take him to the back, i just said box him up. craziest moment of my life i think, lol. this was totally unplanned, but I just couldn't leave him there to die, so here we are. lol. here's a link to the full story
The budgie situation | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

webcam link is on page 2 if you want to see him. he's live 10-10 west coast time.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
the other budgie wouldn't let him perch. just kept making him fly. his illness became apparent pretty quickly once he was out of that environment.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I just read the link! Wow! And what a cutie! He does look tiny! Good for you getting him out of there and to a vet! Poor little thing!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
I just read the link! Wow! And what a cutie! He does look tiny! Good for you getting him out of there and to a vet! Poor little thing!
i'm still in wow mode, lol. he looks much taller now than he did monday evening. I should put a ruler like a line up behind him so I can see how tall he is, lol. such a tiny little friend:heart:

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That's great! Sky, my English budgie, grew also after I bought him. I didnt realize how much until I looked back at pics of him from when I first got him. He looked so tiny then and his feet looked really big! You will really enjoy this little guy!

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
English budgies should get along fine with American budgies (well except maybe if you had two females that didn't like each other together). English budgies have just been selectively bred for show qualities - fuller feathers, larger size, ect. as well as a more calm and steady temperament. They don't breed quite as readily as American budgies so they tend not to be mass produced so they usually come just from smaller breeders so they do tend to be friendlier, and healthier initially. They have more tendency to get fat and develop related problems later on because they are less active, though. So you have to be careful about that.
Oh I forgot to add that when I said English budgies tend to be friendlier, I just mean initially before you work with them... they are just naturally a little tamer. A tame American budgie will be just as friendly as a tame English budgie, it just usually takes a little more patience to tame them.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
You have some really great stuff! Taking a look through now. That tiny jar of foot toys is just too adorable!
Thanks! I love the foot toys too :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Great price. How much is delivery?

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Ok y'all, the budgie got his first big order of stuff. Thanks for all the great ideas. Here's what I got him so far. Definitely need a much bigger cage ASAP. There isn't much room for toys and flight in his other one and I'm not putting anything near his food for now until he gets used to things. Once he accepts and likes something I rotate it to a different spot and put something new by his favorite perch - the top right platform. He has the toy I made him, an avian stainless little one, an acrylic jingly one and a piñata type one in so far along with the flying trapeze. These have been added over the last week or so.
image.jpg
The toys!
image.jpg
Ladders, shelf, swing, boing, double bolted rope perch.
image.jpg
Food- I got all three sizes of the smallest roudybush, lol. He still has a sprout mix coming too and I got a 5lb box of millet to help win him over:D
image.jpg

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very nice selections for a very spoiled Buddy but he does deserve to be spoiled. Did you get the acrylic toys to the right from Bell Plastic Bird Toys? Looks like one of their foot toy packages.

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
Nice stash! Never thought of doing a rope in a half moon in the cage..did it on top of the cage to make several arches then zip tied some toys from it thanks for the idea..

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Very nice selections for a very spoiled Buddy but he does deserve to be spoiled. Did you get the acrylic toys to the right from Bell Plastic Bird Toys? Looks like one of their foot toy packages.
Hmm, I don't know about the foot toys. I picked them up at my vets office but they did all come in a pack together. Will look and see if I still have the packaging. They are so tiny and cute!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Nice stash! Never thought of doing a rope in a half moon in the cage..did it on top of the cage to make several arches then zip tied some toys from it thanks for the idea..
Those ropes are so cool! You can't really tell from the photo but one end is higher than the other so it's really like having two perches :)

Lo_

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
So much cool stuff to chew up!! :D

scoobdoo63

Jogging around the block
Real Name
laurie
Those ropes range in price around 12$ to 30$ here..I just bought another one for 20$ I had a coupon buy 20$ get 10$ off.. black Friday special..ended up spending 17$ anyways lol!!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
So much cool stuff to chew up!! :D
I think so too! Tried to follow everyone's suggestions for the little guy:)

Reactions: Lo_

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
He's got lots of things to try out for sure! You'll know what he likes in no time ;)
That's what I am hoping too:D

Reactions: Lo_