• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie free flight

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I want my budgie Oliver to be a free flight budgie, not one that flies outside but one that can fly around my flat. I read that you have to teach them how to fly proper and I have a lot of big windows in it. I am also getting a baby cockatiel soon and I heard they can get nippy when they are aggrivated. Any suggestions on how to train him to fly safely?

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Is he clipped? You can start by getting him to fly perch to perch then work on flying up and down.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
You can't teach a bird to fly, but you can make it safe and help them practice. I use the bedroom with all the hard surfaces covered with quilts and blankets. See if you can tempt him to fly to your bed using treats as a stimulus. When he's successful increase the distance.
The more you do this the stronger he'll get and his confidence will grow too.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
You can't teach a bird to fly, but you can make it safe and help them practice. I use the bedroom with all the hard surfaces covered with quilts and blankets. See if you can tempt him to fly to your bed using treats as a stimulus. When he's successful increase the distance.
The more you do this the stronger he'll get and his confidence will grow too.
Ok thank you

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Is he clipped? You can start by getting him to fly perch to perch then work on flying up and down.
His wings are clipped because he had something wrong with them and he kept flying into windows

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What was the vets diagnosis on the wing issue?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I want my budgie Oliver to be a free flight budgie, not one that flies outside but one that can fly around my flat.
That´s great :)
To clarify, ¨free flight¨ is the term used when allowing your bird to fly outside, You want to say ¨fully flighted¨. My birds are all fully flighted, meaning, they fly around my home, have no wings clipped/partially clipped.

Be sure to bird proof your room, start with just one room before allowing roam of the house, it will be easier for you to help.
@Ripshod s comment has some great advice :)

oddyssea

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
If you haven’t already done so, make sure those windows are covered, a light net curtain is better than nothing. You don’t want Ollie crashing into them.