• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie fluffed up feathers & lethargic after trip to vet

Polly101

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
I’m so frustrated. I took both my new budgies to the vet because the blue one had a dirty vent. Both budgies appeared completely healthy. Now, after the vet visit, the green one is all fluffed up (since Monday) and he seems to be breathing rapidly. He seems to be eating.

I caught him hopping around and playing for a second, but went back to sitting all fluffed up. I’m tryimg to figure out how to warm his cage and might give him a multi vitamin and probiotics. Oasis something is the brand they have in stock at a store near me.

Anything else i should do? He is not on the bottom of the cage and when he goes to eat he seems to smooth out his feathers and he hops around a bit... but he definitely doesn’t move around as much as before going to the vet.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
This is why, despite wanting to do best by them, I am starting to rethink my position in taking small birds to the vet.

How old is your budgie? He could still be stressed out.

Polly101

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
This is why, despite wanting to do best by them, I am starting to rethink my position in taking small birds to the vet.

How old is your budgie? He could still be stressed out.
I’m now totally against taking a small bird to the vet... unless it’s on it’s death bed... if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it...

She didn’t do a culture. She only looked at the birds and said they look fine. She offered to deworm and to give antibiotics, but that would mean I would have to catch them and administer the meds, which I don’t want to do unless absolutely necessary.

They are around 10 weeks or so. I just got them Saturday. So frustrating... can anyone just offer at home care, as there are no available vets over the holidays and I’m not spending hundreds to stress them further running to an emergency vet.

Thanks!!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I am not understanding why she is throwing out antibiotics. Were they sick?

My budgie was on the opposite end from your two little ones, she was at least 10 years old. I took her to the vet after my cat knocked her cage down and she became lethargic, puffed up, and kept closing her eyes.

I started administering antibiotics, and I wish I hadn't. Her age was against her, and all I did, was stress her out even more.

If they were showing signs of illness so soon after you got them, than I think the place you got them from should step up. Can you call your vet and explain to him/her about the signs that your little one is distributing?

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Vet visits are very stressful, but it's still important for birds to have routine veterinary care. If your little guy has dramatic stress reactions to vet visits, try to find a vet that will do house-calls. Many exotic/avian vets will work with you to not put undo stress on your bird.

Polly101

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
Here’s a picture of him all fluffed. He seems to be breathing more heavily now. 82D58C55-27CA-4EA8-9532-0D4DEDE7805C.jpeg

I would be thrilled to find one that does House calls, but I’m not going to hold my breath trying to find one. I’m completely against regular care for small birds. I know everyone on here feels they have to say it or thinks it’s good, but after having her only stress my birds and the cold car ride stress them, and she did no culture and was not able to make any determination as to whether or not they really needed treatment, I can conclude that this is a total waste and did more harm than good.

I’m trying to find out if there is anything I can do outside of heat, electrolytes and probiotics...

No good vets are available till after the new year... I’ve got to do something now and on my own.

Polly101

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
I’m pretty frustrated with this one vet. I’m sure there are better vets, but again, none of the ones that have been recommended to me are available. I hope someone can reassure me that this is all I can do or is there anything else? Is there a specific behavior that signals a real emergency?

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
For a bird that is clearly stressed, a quiet, dark, and warm environment is best. I know you'll want to continue checking on him, but sometimes this can heighten his stress.

I would not expect lethargy, being poofed up and slow to be terribly worrying after a vet visit. However, these symptoms accompanied with a reluctance to eat, inability perch, lack of coordination, and/or vomiting/regurgitation warrant immediate veterinary intervention.

Polly101

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
For a bird that is clearly stressed, a quiet, dark, and warm environment is best. I know you'll want to continue checking on him, but sometimes this can heighten his stress.

I would not expect lethargy, being poofed up and slow to be terribly worrying after a vet visit. However, these symptoms accompanied with a reluctance to eat, inability perch, lack of coordination, and/or vomiting/regurgitation warrant immediate veterinary intervention.
Thank you. I’m so stressed out and I’ve got so many other things to do. I don’t want to ignore the bird and have him get worse or to get my others sick.

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
I just went thru hell with a breeder sending me EB's via jet, and arrived here with a few showing signs of respiratory distress. One was really short of breath and her tail was bobbing with each breath which is a sign of labored breathing. The very next day I was lucky to get her into see the avian vet for an emergency visit. I won't go thru the story right now which is very long but that EB the vet saw, died 2 weeks later after being on one antibiotic after another. All my flock got sick and the only reason they all made it thru this horrible situation was because the vet referred me to a avian rescue who helped me pay for the many bills my birds needed to get well. They were on a nebulizer treatment, two were also on an oxygen tent in my home.

I would say to you that whenever you buy a new bird, take them immediately to a vet which sounds like you did a good job there. Did the vet listen to the lungs of your bird? Did they do a thorough exam? Stool specimen? Why didn't she test the stool if the bird had a dirty vent? Did you call her the next day to tell of the symptoms? If she did not tell you how the birds lungs sounded then I would suggest getting a better vet that understands the diseases of birds. They will be the first to tell you that fluffed feathers is a sign of illness and put then on preventive antibiotics if they cannot find out the reason for the puffy feathers.

I do not know where you live but I am lucky to have vets who specialize in birds and are very good. Try to find someone such as a bird rescue organization in your area that could refer you to a good competent Avian vet. I wish you luck...it took me two months to get my birds back to normal with the help of the avian rescue person.

This is no time to be giving your bird vitamins..too late for that. And when things calm down...learn as much as you can about nutrition for birds via real foods, spices and herbs that can truly help them stay well. A good food source for inflammation is a combination of Ceylon Cinnamon, Turmeric, Black pepper and Cayenne pepper sprinkled on their plated food or the seed cup. There is so much you can learn about the benefits of nutrition for a long healthy life for your birds.

I hope you keep us posted and I wish you the best.

Polly101

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
I just went thru HE double hockey sticks with a breeder sending me EB's via jet, and arrived here with a few showing signs of respiratory distress. One was really short of breath and her tail was bobbing with each breath which is a sign of labored breathing. The very next day I was lucky to get her into see the avian vet for an emergency visit. I won't go thru the story right now which is very long but that EB the vet saw, died 2 weeks later after being on one antibiotic after another. All my flock got sick and the only reason they all made it thru this horrible situation was because the vet referred me to a avian rescue who helped me pay for the many bills my birds needed to get well. They were on a nebulizer treatment, two were also on an oxygen tent in my home.

I would say to you that whenever you buy a new bird, take them immediately to a vet which sounds like you did a good job there. Did the vet listen to the lungs of your bird? Did they do a thorough exam? Stool specimen? Why didn't she test the stool if the bird had a dirty vent? Did you call her the next day to tell of the symptoms? If she did not tell you how the birds lungs sounded then I would suggest getting a better vet that understands the diseases of birds. They will be the first to tell you that fluffed feathers is a sign of illness and put then on preventive antibiotics if they cannot find out the reason for the puffy feathers.

I do not know where you live but I am lucky to have vets who specialize in birds and are very good. Try to find someone such as a bird rescue organization in your area that could refer you to a good competent Avian vet. I wish you luck...it took me two months to get my birds back to normal with the help of the avian rescue person.

This is no time to be giving your bird vitamins..too late for that. And when things calm down...learn as much as you can about nutrition for birds via real foods, spices and herbs that can truly help them stay well. A good food source for inflammation is a combination of Ceylon Cinnamon, Turmeric, Black pepper and Cayenne pepper sprinkled on their plated food or the seed cup. There is so much you can learn about the benefits of nutrition for a long healthy life for your birds.

I hope you keep us posted and I wish you the best.
Well, this story is making me more worried. I had two healthy birds until I went to that vet. She did not listen to the lungs. She did not minimize the stress if the bird. She did not do a stool sample. She almost had her assistant give the dewormer, but I stopped her because I had a bad vibe. I asked her if she knows how to handle small birds and she said yes, but then she opened the paper bag that they had left my bird in for a long time and the bird started yelling at her! She then had the vet administer the dewormer.

I’m positive that if I had not taken them in the cold that they would have continued to be fine. It was the travel in the cold that did the green one in and could affect my other birds who are in the same room, as I have no other warm space for them.

There is a vet that is highly recommended but is not available.

The green one is breathing very rapidly and he is alone on the other perch. The two have been inseparable till now. I’m so mad at myself for taking them to a vet who claims to specialize in birds but who did absolutely nothing but look at it and weigh it.

I’m thinking I might need to take it to emergency and I have a ton of other things to do. It’s christmas.

Lesson learned to not take small birds in the cold unless absolutely necessary. The original symptom could have cleared up on its own. Now I have a major problem.

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Have you tried covering the back of the cage? (3/4 sides)?

Also, this is a situation you might have to gauge (i don’t know how warm you are leaving the room) is it possible that the spot your budgie is in is now TOO warm? Fluffing feathers is also a way for them to cool down.

I wouldn’t recommend changing the temp quickly (this can kinda shock the system of such small animals). But if you think it is very warm, try reducing the temp a bit. I would still recommend covering a part of the cage because it might provide a safe feeling for him.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I wouldn’t recommend changing the temp quickly (this can kinda shock the system of such small animals). But if you think it is very warm, try reducing the temp a bit. I would still recommend covering a part of the cage because it might provide a safe feeling for him.
You said it before I joined the thread. The birds have been through so much stress. The move to a new home, the stress of being handled so soon by yourself and the vet. The physical stress of the rapid temperatures.
I'm not criticising, just 'been there done that.
Keep them warm, make sure they're drinking, and mash up a 15 minute boiled egg for them to eat (serve warm). Cover the cage on 3 sides and keep the noise down.
The drinking is important. They've moved to a new cage and may not yet know where the water is. Fluids are essential to them right now.
If you go to youtube there' s a 3hr vid of normal budgie noises - I believe that may help them.

Last edited:

Polly101

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori

My budgie was on the opposite end from your two little ones, she was at least 10 years old. I took her to the vet after my cat knocked her cage down and she became lethargic, puffed up, and kept closing her eyes.

I started administering antibiotics, and I wish I hadn't. Her age was against her, and all I did, was stress her out even more.

If they were showing signs of illness so soon after you got them, than I think the place you got them from should step up. Can you call your vet and explain to him/her about the signs that your little one is distributing?
I called them and they told me to take them to emergency. I should have been told on the phone that there was nothing they could do for birds. She should not even advertise that she cares for birds.
You said it before I joined the thread. The birds have been through so much stress. The move to a new home, the stress of being handled so soon by yourself and the vet. The physical stress of the rapid temperatures.
Keep them warm, make sure they're drinking, and mash up a 15 minute boiled egg for them to eat (serve warm). Cover the cage on 3 sides and keep the noise down.
The drinking is important. They've moved to a new cage and may not yet know where the water is. Fluids are essential to them right now.
If you go to youtube there' s a 3hr vid of normal budgie noises - I believe that may help them.

Thank you! This is the kind of advice I was hoping for!!

They have been drinking from a bowl that I change regularly throughout the day. I’m going to put in a silo water bottle to see if they can figure that out, as it will stay cleaner.

I do have the cage covered on three sides and I have the heat up to 72 but it’s dry in here. I’m going to increase humidity.

I will try the eggs. I will also get some aviansafe for the water, which has electolytes. I’m thinking about getting the probiotics and vitamin. On Amazon, people stared in the reviews that their vet recommended this product for their birds...

The green one looked better this morning and the blue one is acting ok, but had poop caked on his vent.

I know they were over stressed. It was against my gut feeling to take them to the vet in the first place, but many suggested taking them to the vet because the school of thought is to take new birds to the vet when you get them. I now disagree with this thinking because of the many other variables that can cause harm, such as cold, stress and a vet who is not that knowledgeable.

Thanks for the specific advice. Fingers crossed!

Polly101

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori

Sorry to hear about your bird! That’s so sad. Was it the stress of administering antibiotics that made her worse?

Polly101

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori

Oh, and I have two other budgies to make lots of noise, but they are in the same room. I’m thinking about putting the sick birds in my son’s room, as that is the only other warm room that isn’t drafty.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If your birds will eat the egg then you won't need the vitamins.
Your son's bedroom will be a good idea if they are in a busy area right now, so long as they don't get disturbed. Can you play the bird sounds in there? Gently of course, and off at lights-out. Is the heat on all night?
I find silos a more convenient way to provide drinks. Less water exposed to contaminants. Still should maybe clean and fresh water twice a day for now.
We're all guilty of wanting our birds fixed NOW! Time now to slow down a little. If this does turn out to be more serious at least your birds will be in a better condition to pull through.
ETA: It's always a good idea to control the humidity especially if any form of heating is being used. I read ages ago that 60-70‰ is the right zone for budgies. I have mine at 63 and all my birds are happy.

Last edited:

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
Your birds need to see the vet asap..time is important to catch early! But only a good Avian vet. I will get Lady Jane on this one..too important to play around right now with home remedies in my opinion.

Polly101

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
Your birds need to see the vet asap..time is important to catch early! But only a good Avian vet. I will get Lady Jane on this one..too important to play around right now with home remedies in my opinion.
Uh, the trip to the useless vet is what did the green one in. He was fine before going out in the cold. Yes, I had them wrapped in a blanket over the travel cage, but it was still cold.

It’s Christmas so there are no qualified vets available. The one I went to was listed on some avian vet listing. She did absolutely nothing.

Rushing to the vet caused illness and more harm, so I’m very reluctant to rush them out again to have a repeat experience and have them die from all the stress.

Polly101

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lori
If your birds will eat the egg then you won't need the vitamins.
Your son's bedroom will be a good idea if they are in a busy area right now, so long as they don't get disturbed. Can you play the bird sounds in there? Gently of course, and off at lights-out. Is the heat on all night?
I find silos a more convenient way to provide drinks. Less water exposed to contaminants. Still should maybe clean and fresh water twice a day for now.
We're all guilty of wanting our birds fixed NOW! Time now to slow down a little. If this does turn out to be more serious at least your birds will be in a better condition to pull through.
ETA: It's always a good idea to control the humidity especially if any form of heating is being used. I read ages ago that 60-70‰ is the right zone for budgies. I have mine at 63 and all my birds are happy.
So higher humidity? They are in my bedroom with my other birds, but a separate cage. The bedrooms are the warmest rooms. My son doesn’t want the birds in there, but if they should be in separate rooms, I’ll put them in there.

He was cold at 68, so I increased the temp to 72 for the day. It’s suppsedly 30% humidity according to my thermostat.

I’m going to boil the egg now. This will be a new food for them. I’ve had them only a week... they are about 11-13 weeks old.