• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie - feathers tight to body and panting

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Hello

Just as I was leaving for work today, just as my ride arrived, I went to say goodbye to my birdies for the day. I noticed Baxter's (one of my budgies) feathers were very tight to his body and his wings were slightly out, and he was on-and-off panting. It read to me like classic overheating symptoms - but the room was the same temperature as always (I have a basement room, so it's even a bit cooler than normal room temperature).

Baxter has been having some issues with these deep sneezes (I posted in Healthy Highway about it). I've taken him to the vet for it before, and I have a follow-up vet appointment booked on this upcoming Monday. I also noticed yesterday that he was worrying over his leg, which I did email the vet and she replied about it. But I feel like this is acute. I feel so miserable that I had to run right after noticing it - it was pretty sudden with bad timing.

I really doubt I'll be able to get to the vets today. Today they close at 5PM and I usually get home from work around 5:20. They're closed over the weekend too - at the very least, I have an appointment booked on Monday. This is the only general exotics vet I'm aware of in the area (I'm in a new city for a summer job, and there's no avian vet up here).

What steps can I take to help him if I can't get to the vet today? I gave him some drops of Metacam before I left, which will hopefully help if there's any pain or inflammation going on. I just hope he holds on at least until I get home :(

Thank you for your advice and I'll update you when I can.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I really doubt I'll be able to get to the vets today.

If you want to possibly save his life you need to find a way or have another person take him. What is the temperature in you home. Sounds like he is overheated. Do you have AC?

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
If you want to possibly save his life you need to find a way or have another person take him. What is the temperature in you home. Sounds like he is overheated. Do you have AC?
I'll be calling my vet to see if they have any open spots - or if not, the second best place to go. I have also messaged a local avian hub for advice on where to go. The temperature in my room is max 20 degrees Celsius (68-70 degrees Fahrenheit) - it doesn't make sense that he would be overheating.

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
I called the vet clinic, and they said I can just drop him off and she'll take a look at him whenever she gets the chance. The vet's in surgery right now but may end early/have time in between appointments. I'm trying to get in contact with one of my housemates who has a car and is generally home, to see if she can take him there now.

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Ok - took him to the vet. She checked his choana and it was clear!! Not red and inflamed like before. However, his lame toe is red, swollen, and painful. It's possible he nicked it on something or there's an infection, but it's quite painful and he doesn't like it being touched. I have antibiotics and painkiller to give him. He's still panting on and off, but he's also been consistently chirping and is still eating, and his weight hasn't changed, so I hope it's treatable. Still glad I got him in today. Thanks for your help!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Aww poor baby with a hurt. If you must you can hold him in a small towel for medication administration. Please check the cage interior if you haven't already for something sharp that could haven nicked his toe.

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Aww poor baby with a hurt. If you must you can hold him in a small towel for medication administration. Please check the cage interior if you haven't already for something sharp that could haven nicked his toe.
For sure. I think part of the issue is he walks on the joint of where the toe and the foot meet. He's always done it but there might have been something that aggravated it. I wonder if a wood splinter would do it? I have a small wood corner platform he likes to sit on and chew on. Could that happen? I will check in the morning.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It may be a tiny one. Might need a magnifier.