• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Budgie Diseases??

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
  1. I am babysitting a few buggies until their new owner can pick them up but one looks sickish.

The previous owner said she was originally in a finch cage with another budgie who died and has been sick--ish Since then. So for 8 months.

The lady says she has taken pictures, spoke to vets and they all say if she's eating, drinking and pooping that she should be fine...

I (not experienced bird owner) immediately noticed the bird looks unwell. She has blue-ish feet and beak and almost sores around her head. Definitely feather loss around her head. Both birds Ceres lookscabby...any ideas?

I have a conure..is she now at risk?! I am not happy about this experience.‍♀

Attached Files:
    12 minutes agoEditReport
    + QuoteQuote

2. ZaraRollerblading along the roadAvenue Spotlight Award TAILGATING!!! I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

The bird in the first picture looks so sad.
    I´m sorry I can´t help, in the meantime, it may be worth keeping the birds as far apart as possible.

@PoukieBear
    @Hankmacaw
    @Ripshod
    @Lady Jane

8 minutes agoReport
    Unlike− QuoteQuote
    You like this.

3. GingerDeeMeeting neighbors

The bird in the first picture looks so sad.
    I´m sorry I can´t help, in the meantime, it may be worth keeping the birds as far apart as possible.

@PoukieBear
    @Hankmacaw
    @Ripshod
    @Lady Jane

Yes Zara she does look so sad. Could she still be heartbroken over the loss of her friend 8 months ago?

7 minutes agoEditDeleteReport
    + QuoteQuote

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
This thread has got really weird formatting.
It's virtually unreadable to me. Gonna try a different browser.

ETA: Different browser, same problem. Something on this page is messing it up on my mobile. I have 2 suggestions though.

Feather loss? Moulting
Scabby cere? Hormones (that time of year)
Lethargy? Likely to be boredom/loneliness.

Last edited:

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
I posted again and will delete this thread.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Linden, I tagged you in the original thread.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
I thought the formatting was just my computer being stupid. lol

The beaks look normal to me, this is what a female budgie that is in Breeding condition looks like. Nothing to worry about there.

However, they do look sleepy and poofy which is not good. You should encourage the owner to actually TAKE them to a vet, get some blood tests and a fecal gram stain done. This will help determin if/what the illness is.

For now, make sure there is NO cross contamination between these birds and your conure. Make sure they are in separate rooms. Wash your hands between handling them or any food dishes or toys. Do not let them near each other at all, and I'm sure your conure will be fine.

GingerDee

Strolling the yard

Feather loss? Moulting
Scabby cere? Hormones (that time of year)
Lethargy? Likely to be boredom/loneliness.

The feather loss is patches of missing feathers around the back of her neck. I've seen horrible pictures of other birds with this issue, but hers is minor.

She has been around what sounds like a lot of birds..would boredom be an issue?

GingerDee

Strolling the yard

However, they do look sleepy and poofy which is not good. You should encourage the owner to actually TAKE them to a vet, get some blood tests and a fecal gram stain done. This will help determin if/what the illness is.

I made her an appointment for tomorrow morning..

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

The feather loss is patches of missing feathers around the back of her neck. I've seen horrible pictures of other birds with this issue, but hers is minor.

She has been around what sounds like a lot of birds..would boredom be an issue?
Missing feathers at the back. Could one of the other budgies have attacked her. Is there any sign of the missing feathers in the bottom of her cage.
Main thing is to be calm because budgies are very empathic. Make it to the vet appointment. That's the best thing you can do right now.

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Missing feathers at the back. Could one of the other budgies have attacked her. Is there any sign of the missing feathers in the bottom of her cage.
Main thing is to be calm because budgies are very empathic. Make it to the vet appointment. That's the best thing you can do right now.

From what I was told "Sky" is her cage mate and can be "dominant". I have not had them here long enough to say anything, other than something wrong with her. Sky was preening that spot on Eska and there was another bird who was "peaking at her head."

The last owner says that all her birds were rescued from bad situations...

GingerDee

Strolling the yard
Sounds like they are still in a bad situation. :(
I'm not sure. I tend to over react and was so pissed after 10 months this bird still hasn't seen the vet.‍♀ I don't think you can use the word rescue if a vet has never seen the animal. My opinion from cat rescue. A vet followed my cats from day one...

Anyhow, the lady thought is was heartbreak. I can't say. I ONLY KNOW that she "looks" sick.

Hopefully tomorrow I have more answers. I can see though that the sick one Eska IS CAUTIOUS of Sky, the healthy one. I don't think they should be together...I'm thinking I will fight to have Sky stay until she is better..I know I will take her to the vet and again if needed. It sucks and I DON'T want to pay..but I don't want her sick even more..so she's going.

Worst babysitting job ever...