• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Budgie cant move both of its legs

iamtheonev

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Vote
My cousin pulled out all my budgies tail and flight feathers and i saw it like this on the floor. The budgie isn't moving any of its legs and it's trying to move by trying to drag itself with its beak. The legs seem lifeless when I touch them there's no resistance. I don't have any vets nearby. Will he start walking again or is it not looking good
20240303_161631.jpg

20240303_160921.jpg

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Hi
What do you mean your cousin pulled out their tail feathers ?

you really need to get them to vet if you share location you are at hopefully some members can help you find one

If there’s no grip or movement of both legs they could be broken or anything you will need a vet to advise you

how is this little one eating or drinking ? You may need to help holding them while they eat and drink keeping them warm until you can see a vet

iamtheonev

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Vote
Hi
What do you mean your cousin pulled out their tail feathers ?

you really need to get them to vet if you share location you are at hopefully some members can help you find one

If there’s no grip or movement of both legs they could be broken or anything you will need a vet to advise you

how is this little one eating or drinking ? You may need to help holding them while they eat and drink keeping them warm until you can see a vet
My cousins went and attacked it when I wasn't home. I had loads of guests at my house so I know who did it I have a camera in my room. Yeah I'm taking it to the vet but it's far away

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
My cousins went and attacked it when I wasn't home. I had loads of guests at my house so I know who did it I have a camera in my room
How old is your cousin ?

you do really need to make them to vet

Are they eating because I am guessing they can get about to eat and starving to death isn’t a nice way to go and I am sorry if that sounds harsh but it’s what’s going to happen if you don’t help them eat and drink regularly keep warm and see a vet

@Pixiebeak @Mizzely any advise on how to keep comfortable until seen by a vet

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
The person who did this needs red flagged and watched for the rest of their life. No telling what they may do in the future.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Get your bird into a carrier or small cage, keep them warm and quiet. Make sure they can get food and water... You may need to try and give some moist food on a spoon for them to eat off of.

We cannot tell you if your bird will make it or not; I fear internal damage from holding the bird through this horrific act is a possibility.

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
The person who did this needs red flagged and watched for the rest of their life. No telling what they may do in the future.
Depends on how old the cousins are. But still, I think they need to be spanked.

Rebel

Sprinting down the street
Depends on how old the cousins are. But still, I think they need to be spanked.
What does age have to do with it? As a child, we always had a parakeet. I never had the urge to pull its feathers out.Have you?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Get your bird into a carrier or small cage, keep them warm and quiet. Make sure they can get food and water... You may need to try and give some moist food on a spoon for them to eat off of.

We cannot tell you if your bird will make it or not; I fear internal damage from holding the bird through this horrific act is a possibility.
Absolutely agree. Making sure he can eat and drink is vital to your budgies survival if he starves before he can get seen by a vet that's a moot point if your able to locate one or not. I sincerely hope you'll be able to find a vet to help your little one. I'm sorry this happened and that you're both going through this.

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
What does age have to do with it? As a child, we always had a parakeet. I never had the urge to pull its feathers out.Have you?
Yes but each child is different. And how they develop psychologically also different. As a child, I didn’t pull out bird feathers, but I did do things to ants out of curiosity. Also I got a syringe from a science lab and injected a random toad with water. I feel remorse now, but as a child I didn’t know better.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I dont think we should be justifying any sort of animal cruelty

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
I dont think we should be justifying any sort of animal cruelty
Yes and I think the child should be disciplined. But a child is a child and an adult is an adult, and should be disciplined and treated accordingly.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think this thread needs to be focused on the bird.

We can all have opinions on what happened, but none of those opinions are going to help the bird, and are going to make it difficult for the poster to wade through to find the advice given.

Tommy95

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Thomas
The rest has given good advice, I don’t have anything to add. I hope that all goes well and your budgie recovers. I’m sorry that you and your budgie have to go through this horrific incident.

Scorpi0

Jogging around the block
Poor budgie :sad8:

Keep us updated. Your cousin needs a real good beating.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
How is the little one today

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I’m very sorry your cousin attacked your beautiful budgie.

While waiting for the vet, you could also read to your budgie or play some soothing music. This will hopefully drown out potentially stressful noises.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
How is this little one today?