• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie brown ‘nose’?

Peapod74

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Hello! So my daughter has her first parakeet named Blueberry. I’ve had a conure for six years but never a budgie. We are keeping them in separate rooms of course and washing hands every time we touch either one. My question is... Blueberry has some brown coloring above his cere which I’ve read ‘could’ be a respiratory infection? I haven’t seen or heard any sneezing, I haven’t seen any discharge, s/he is eating and chirping. Any thoughts?

If it is a respiratory problem how bad is that? Once you start antibiotics you have to worry about yeast and argh! My daughter is so attached already!

B1B45EB3-0B2D-4832-A4F8-0A399CFAC993.jpeg

1FD5B258-D0CD-4E9A-9B73-646A2FE6A8C3.jpeg

28EBA032-8F71-4921-8D06-B2E5970DC1D9.jpeg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Aww so cute. He is growing some new head feathers and has what we call pin feathers. I don't see any indication of nasal discharge. A new bird should have a wellness check anyway so vet visit is a good idea.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Looks more like he's just moulting to me, too. My Gomez is a bit of a mess right now as well. Does he have a budgie buddy to help him preen?

Either way you can either bring him in the bathroom with you while you're in the tub, try giving him a shower with warm water, or set up a humidifier near his cage while he sleeps. You can also try preening him yourself by gently rolling the feather sheath yourself, if he'll let you.

But I agree; a vet checkup won't hurt at all.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I can see it looks like the flight feathers have been cut. Is he able to fly a bit? Many pet stores do this. Ladders will help with exercise. Takes almost a year for full re growth.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a little doll he is! I can see how your daughter is smitten. :heart:

Peapod74

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
So the brown smudge is just part of his coloring or molting? I’m used to pin feathers with my green cheek. This little guy’s wings are partly clipped but surprisingly he flies pretty well regardless! We interact with him/her under my daughters bed canopy so he can fly around us but not get into trouble or get away. He’s really taming up nicely!

So is it safe to say he’s a male? Looks pretty blue to me but I’ve heard it can change because he’s still young?

Thanks everyone!

The brown smudging closer up—-

7973A23D-D5BE-4B4F-BBF8-54399897EF8E.jpeg

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
So the brown smudge is just part of his coloring or molting? I’m used to pin feathers with my green cheek. This little guy’s wings are partly clipped but surprisingly he flies pretty well regardless! We interact with him/her under my daughters bed canopy so he can fly around us but not get into trouble or get away. He’s really taming up nicely!

So is it safe to say he’s a male? Looks pretty blue to me but I’ve heard it can change because he’s still young?

Thanks everyone!

The brown smudging closer up—-

View attachment 289886
Yes hes a male and is molting

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
My male budgie gets that stain about the cere with molting. I give him a spritz bath with warm water in a fine mist spray bottle from the amphibian department of a pet store. If its a stubborn spot I may use dawn dish detergent on the area (very small amount). Its a safe product for bird feathers. Still, a wellness check at the vet for your new bird is in order, but not because of the stain.

Peapod74

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Thanks everyone!! Thanks for being kind about my neurosis haha! yes, vet check is in order, especially because of having another bird in the house.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We have a grocery store chain here on East coast. I sometimes order home delivery because it is physically less painful to these old bones. The name of the delivery company is Peapod.