• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Budgie Breathing

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Hey guys, Blueberry sleeps in my room with me, a blanket over him throughout the night.

Yesterday and today (it woke me up at around 6:50 in the morning which is not a time I wake up at) I noticed his breathing has been really odd. Yesterday when I took his blanket off, I didn't hear that sound for the rest of the day, but just now this morning I did and he's still making the sound.

He is currently molting, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I attached some audio files of his breathing to help. I can't get him to the vet right now since it's still 7am so if you guys could please try to clarify or offer some advice that could help that would be wonderful

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
I just want to add that this is an on and off thing. With the blanket on it seemed more consistent but now he's silent for a while before making the noise once or twice again and then he'll stop again. He makes the noise less often than he does make it and seems like it's stopped completely now

He isn't on the cage floor, he's on the top perch like always. He seems fine otherwise and is energetically running around to eat breakfast as I type this out.

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
:bump8:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I can’t get them to play.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Sounds like he's either struggling to breath or he's in pain. Have you seen him crash when flying at all? Has anything else happened that may be relevant? I think a visit to the vet is in order here.
I had to log in to my Google account to play the files.

Last edited:

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Sounds like he's either struggling to breath or he's in pain. I think a visit to the vet is in order here.

Why do you think it's only when he's covered up then? He's been out for just over an hour and he's silent

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Why do you think it's only when he's covered up then? He's been out for just over an hour and he's silent
I can't answer that. Likely when he's fully awake he hides it?

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Sorry about that! They're Google drive links. I once tried to upload an audio and it wouldn't let me no matter the file format so I found sharing Google drive links was what worked in the end.

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
. Have you seen him crash when flying at all? Has anything else happened that may be relevant?

Not at all. He's acting completely normal. His flying isn't the greatest anyway since his wings are clipped from the store, but since he's started moulting it's gotten better overall/he can "fly" for longer distances. Really more like he can do longer distance jumps. His poops look normal and he's eating as well.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The links worked for me and she does have a clicking sound. Could be an upper respiratory infection. The vet will find it.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sorry about that! They're Google drive links. I once tried to upload an audio and it wouldn't let me no matter the file format so I found sharing Google drive links was what worked in the end.
I am logged in but I’m guessing it could be my phone as I have issues with opening photos from this site too.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you ! Just waiting on the office to open up to give them a call
If you’re in Aus I would start calling now. The vets are usually there a fair while before they actually open. I have better luck getting my vet if I call half an hour before they actually open.

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
If you’re in Aus I would start calling now. The vets are usually there a fair while before they actually open. I have better luck getting my vet if I call half an hour before they actually open.
Awesome idea! It worked!! Thanks for that.

I spoke to the nurse and she told me it could be his blanket needs washing and the slightest amount of dust could be causing it since he stops making the noise when the blanket is off. I've been advised to watch him for the next 24 hours and try putting him to bed tonight without the blanket.

This makes a lot of sense to me because otherwise he seems completely normal, and im also super sensitive to dust and have asthma attacks with dusty blankets. Hopefully that's all it is!! Thank you all for your help, I'll be sure to keep you all updated

Ephy

Walking the driveway
OMG. My heart is crushed listening to that poor baby.
I can only imagine how stressed and fearful this situation must be!!
Bird dust not only affects humans but also birds,
How much of the cage is covered? You need to make sure there are large gaps where the blanket can let fresh air into the cage.

Can you open a window?

Sometimes certain seed can cause dust, so it may be best to shake it through a strainer before offering it.

Is the seed the correct size for the bird?
Could the bird be inhaling them as it eats?

Is there cigarette smoke, vaporizers or pot smoke in his room?

Could there be mold or aspergillosis?

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Aww poor baby! Sounds so sad! I would still advise a trip to the vet just to be safe though!

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Update time!

He's been sleeping without a covering these last few nights and he's doing much better! I'm so relieved. Sometimes I hear one or two little chirps in the daytime if he's still in my room, so I'm probably due to do a super deep carpet vacuum to remove any excess dust around the place.

No I don't smoke, nobody smokes anything inside at all, it's looking more and more like regular dust, also the fact that he was moulting I believe aggravated this since it only began recently during the time of his moult. Straining his seed is a good idea though, I'll do that just to be safe because it does have little bits of broken up seed in it! His seeds are the correct size, the exact same mix the breeder used/uses!

Unfortunately I cannot open the windows as we're renting and we're still due to get some fly screen up. I hate this as I believe it'll help me a lot too to be able to regularly open the windows. I'm also going to do a big wipe down of my entire room/the walls which should hopefully help more.

The living rooms are all tile and no carpet which also makes me believe further it was just dust since he's never made this sound outside of my room when he's in the living room or around his perch.

Another happy update is that Blueberry flew properly for the first time today!!! We are all so proud and excited for him (except for Frankie who seems a little jealous of the attention Blueberry has been getting), he's done two big laps around the room like he's showing off how fast he is. I think it's the first time he's not had clipped wings so hopefully more exercise and an "escape tactic" will help make him feel happier and safer in general.

Thanks again for all of your help and concern!

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Okay, didn't want to make this update but the squeaking came back. I heard it on Tuesday and booked an appointment with his vet on Thursday.

He wasn't wheezing or having breathing difficulties during the appointment so the vet said she didn't hear anything, but put him on antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications for a week.

It's currently 10pm and I'm in my room with him and he's wheezing on and off and my heart is breaking for him, I feel so bad there isn't anything else I can do besides give him his medicines.

If anyone else has ever experienced a possible respiratory infection with their bird, I would really appreciate some advice regarding when their birds' symptoms got better. I feel like he's wheezing more since beginning his medicine and I don't know when to expect results by