• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

BROWN RICE, SPICES, AND HERBS. HOW OFTEN?

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Until now I haven’t used any spices or herbs in any of the foods I’ve prepared for Kai. He is a good eater and I’ve had no issues with him enjoying his meals. However, I have been reading how important spices and herbs are to his well being and recently picked up several spices etc. all are organic and the cinnamon is Ceylon. My question is, how often should I add spices to his food? Also, how often can I mix brown rice into his food. I read rice contains arsenic. How much is to much? All replies welcomed.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Spices technically can be used in every meal :) So it is really up to you and him. Many have health benefits!

As for the rice, I don't do a lot of it; I prefer other grains like quinoa, amaranth, spelt, buckwheat, wild rice, etc. Brown rice can contain arsenic as it is really good at absorbing everything around it while growing.

Yes, There Is Arsenic In Your Rice. Here's What You Need To Know | HuffPost Life

Buying basmatic rice grown in California, India, or Pakistan has the least amount of arsenic.

Arsenic in Rice: Everything You Need to Know to Stay Safe

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
The only rice I offer is wild rice :)

There are lots of other wonderful grains you can use. I always provide diversity over one option.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I try not to feed much grain any more. I've greatly reduced the amount in my chop recipes. My birds aren't active enough for that many carbs.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I try not to feed much grain any more. I've greatly reduced the amount in my chop recipes. My birds aren't active enough for that many carbs.
Very great point! I feed a little less than a teaspoon of my mix with their veggies.

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I actually give very little grain to my birds. Mostly veggies and some fruit, nuts and sprouts. Small amount of large hookbill deluxe seed mix that doesn't contain sunflower seeds or peanuts as well.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do think it is a balance for sure; I feed very little seed (like, 2 nutriberries a day and that's it) but do feed more healthful grains. It is still only a small percentage of my chop, though :)

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Spices technically can be used in every meal :) So it is really up to you and him. Many have health benefits!

As for the rice, I don't do a lot of it; I prefer other grains like quinoa, amaranth, spelt, buckwheat, wild rice, etc. Brown rice can contain arsenic as it is really good at absorbing everything around it while growing.

Yes, There Is Arsenic In Your Rice. Here's What You Need To Know | HuffPost Life

Buying basmatic rice grown in California, India, or Pakistan has the least amount of arsenic.

Thank you so much for your reply and for taking the time to send me the sites. You were a big help.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
The only rice I offer is wild rice :)

There are lots of other wonderful grains you can use. I always provide diversity over one option.
Thank you for your reply. I will definitely research this more.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
Thank you so much for your reply. I try hard to balance out Kai’s diet so he gets some of everything. Still working on it.

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I actually give very little grain to my birds. Mostly veggies and some fruit, nuts and sprouts. Small amount of large hookbill deluxe seed mix that doesn't contain sunflower seeds or peanuts as well.
Thank you for your reply. Regarding sunflower seeds Kai gets one or two as a special reward one in awhile. I would say once every two to three weeks. I also do not give him a lot of seeds. He gets a teaspoon every other day. Sometimes every two days as a treat. I have grandsons that have peanut and tree but allergies and have been looking for a seed mix that contains no peanuts or tree nuts. If you don’t mind my asking what brand of seeds do you use amend where do you purchase it?

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary

Mizzely, do you sprinkle the spices on top of the food, cook it in, or do both? I know not to add or cook chili flakes into hot food.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Mizzely, do you sprinkle the spices on top of the food, cook it in, or do both? I know not to add or cook chili flakes into hot food.

I do it both ways. Usually grains I cook with spices and then for everything else it is sprinkled on top. I don't season all the time though

Miss Mary

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I do it both ways. Usually grains I cook with spices and then for everything else it is sprinkled on top. I don't season all the time though
Thank you so much. I want to make sure I am doing it right and don’t want to overdo. My friend had mentioned that they love brown rice so I had made up a nice batch of brown rice and added all sorts of steamed veggies. I put it all together and froze it in small portions. Then I read about the arsenic etc. now I am afraid to give it to him. Lol. I thought I was keeping on top of everything. Anyway, thank you for all your replies. You have been very helpful.