• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

brown paper in shipping boxes bird safe?

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Don't really know if I should ask that here or not but figured he could use it as a toy so I'll put it here.

I'm sure it's been asked before but with a quick search I didn't find it.

The brown paper that comes in the boxes with alot of the items you other online. Is it safe to use as a toy? Taking into account what it shipped with obviously, Like toys or pet food ok where as some type of chemical you don't want to use.

OK Mike

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mike
I use 8 mil unbleached kraft paper in Blu's cage. At Lowes it is called Contractors Paper. A 36" x 140' roll is about $13.00. I would caution about using any bleached paper. Paper mills bleach pulp with chlorine or hydrogen peroxide or a combination of both. Residuals from chlorine stay in the paper and can form dioxins , which are highly toxic and carcinogens. Here is a link to International Paper Company's North American products Safety Data Sheets. Product Safety Data Sheets. I have spent over 40 years doing environmental testing in the pulp and paper industry. Most of the testing dealt with the air emissions off of the various processes to produce different products. From my experience I tend to stay away from as much bleached paper as possible.
I posted this in the cage liner discussion. Hope it's helpful. I use brown paper in Blu's forage toys and give him the trimmings from cage tray lining to shred.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it's tissue paper, no, do not use that for bird toys.

If it's like Kraft paper or paper bags, then it is safe :)

yasha2802

Strolling the yard
Thank you guys.
I would say it's the Kraft paper. It's not tissue paper it's a brown harder paper.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I posted this in the cage liner discussion. Hope it's helpful. I use brown paper in Blu's forage toys and give him the trimmings from cage tray lining to shred.
Very helpful! Thank you for sharing it!