• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brown Headed Parrot Cage Size?

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
Hello everyone, after a few months of research, I decided on a BH over a Caique. With that being said, I am looking for a nice cage. It will be located in my room as well. Would the cage below be appropriate? I've read it should not be anything smaller than a 24x22. This would be perfect for my budget. I cannot really afford to 30x+sizes as well.

If you have any other recommendations, please post below. I am located in California as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FRV444/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Cheers

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
The 2nd cage depth of 18 inch is not enough to compensate for the extra 4 inch width in my opinion
the 24 x 22 would be better.

You would want the bird to be able to spread its wings not just length wise. I think the 18 inch is limiting to movement.

first cage is 24 x 20 not 22 but still think I'd prefer it over the 2nd & the playtop is really useful.

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
Thanks for your input. And yikes, I made a boo boo on that. Ill continue to look. Thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Minimum: Avian Adventures Chiquita play top There is also a dome top version but I prefer the play top.

Shop around for prices. Seems to be out of stock or priced a bit high at most places. :-(

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Loro could work....seen it on sale

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I think an A&E Flight cage would work fine, considering I have my own brown headed parrot in it and he loves it. He is also out of it a lot and I have a big java perch stand on top for him. They're usually around $150 new as well, and if you look for sales you can get them even cheaper! HQ also makes a similar flight cage.

The playstand on the cage in the picture isn't what's on there now either, and I have more toys and stuff in there now since this is the day I got it and I had to wait for some more shipments since I moved all his toys over from his older smaller cage.

The cage Mizzely posted though is what I had wanted originally so if that's within budget I would get that, but, there are options.

Also yay for another potential BH owner :D

FlightCage.jpg

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I do not own it but it is on my short list of cages I would purchase if in the market.

It's been around for several years and I know several people with them. Petco may have it on their website too as it started as their brand.

You probably would want to stick to 3/4" or less I'm guessing?

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
I think an A&E Flight cage would work fine, considering I have my own brown headed parrot in it and he loves it. He is also out of it a lot and I have a big java perch stand on top for him. They're usually around $150 new as well, and if you look for sales you can get them even cheaper! HQ also makes a similar flight cage.

The playstand on the cage in the picture isn't what's on there now either, and I have more toys and stuff in there now since this is the day I got it and I had to wait for some more shipments since I moved all his toys over from his older smaller cage.

The cage Mizzely posted though is what I had wanted originally so if that's within budget I would get that, but, there are options.

Also yay for another potential BH owner :D

View attachment 280041

Are you referring to this one?

a&e flight cage - Google Search

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I ordered that Petco cage a few years ago. The first one arrived with bent bars and dented trays. They picked that one up and sent a replacement and it also arrived damaged. I felt that it was flimsy compared to the other cages I have and decided not to try for another replacement. I have Avian Adventures Chiquita play tops for a few of my Pois (posted about that above). I would get larger cages but I don't have the room. However the Chiquita is spacious, sturdy, easy to clean and very easy to assemble.

Adding this for clarification: The Petco cage I am referring to is the You and Me Parrot Cage (used to be known as the Designer Mink Brown StandingParrot Cage).

Last edited:

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
Yep that's the one, but for clarity here is a link. A&E Cage Company Flight Bird Cage in White | Petco

There are a few different colors too. My mom has the chichita cage that @iamwhoiam mentioned and that is a nice cage as well. The cage I have ended up being what I picked since I found it used on the Facebook marketplace for a good price, but if you go that route definitely check the cages over super well.