• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken tail feathers?

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Sunni is a 4-month-old cockatiel, and his wings are clipped. Anytime he gets spooked he sort of jumps backward and flaps his wings, sliding down the nearest wall and landing on his tail feathers. He has cracked 3 in half so far and there are 2 that are snapped but not quite fallen off. Is there any way to prevent this from happening? I plan on letting him grow out his wing feathers and making him fully flighted, but is there any way I can make him stop breaking his tail feathers now? or will he be like this until he can fly?

here's a picture of his tail:
PXL_20210118_231741729_2.jpg

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Based off of my experience, as long as he can’t fly he’ll break his tail like that lol

I myself have a little duck butt tiel :roflmao:

You can see it in this photo, Oreo has her little duck butt, while Nacho, who is good at flying still has a fully intact tail.

FCD444B8-E662-451E-B1E0-E24598D9A378.jpeg

They both have clipped wings, but while Nacho flies very well, Oreo launches herself backwards lol

Also, if he’s jumping over and over try to stop him from doing that because Oreo got a little cut on her belly a while ago from jumping and smashing into the floor too many times :meh:

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks, good to know. :shrug:
Also, how long does it usually take for clipped feathers grow back?
It could take up to a year, depends on the bird.

Baby tiels are also pretty clumsy so even unclipped ones will break feathers sometimes. It should get better as he gets older.