• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Broken perches?

Shilohbird

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Shiloh
So I'm getting new birds soon, and to save money (which I don't have a lot of) I've reused some old toys from my budgie who passed. I sterilized some of her old perches but one of them has a broken bit on the edge of the perch. I pressed my finger against it and it didn't cut or scratch me but it wasn't comfortable. I would prefer not to sand it, I can't touch sandpaper or nail files because of autism sensory issues, but I can ask someone to do it for me if it's absolutely necessary

Gabby_l7

Moving in
Real Name
Gabriella
Hi :) The perch should be fine, as long as the broken edge isn't sharp and can't hurt your birds. If you have enough perches for now you could always throw the broken one away and save some money to eventually buy a new one. If you choose to keep it I would recommend you just be cautious and make sure your birds are fine using it, hope this helps :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have a Y perch that is now a bent I :lol: There's no sharp bits so the birds can keep it ;)

Just keep in mind to have a bit of money aside for emergencies, but also a wellness check when you first get these new birds.