• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Broken leg?

emilija

Moving in
Real Name
emilija
Hello everyone!
I have 3 year old budgie Cookie.
Recently, she was playing in a pocket and somehow she injured her leg. Ever since, she cant control her back toes and she twists them. Sometimes she looks fine but sometimes she twists her toes and she is loosing balance. Otherwise she is fun, hilarious bird who sings,talks and eats-everything else is ok, it's like she doesn't feel pain. I heard that when bird breaks its toes it heals by its self but i am worried about her.

We don't want to take her to vet, because she is very traumatized after that and we also think that the vet is not going to do anything, just because of her happy behavior.

Any similar experience with your cute bird is very welcomed and useful.

SamStarling

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Samson Starling
Hey there! I don't have a budgie, but my cockatiel had something similar happen. I think I slept through a night fright, because when I woke up one morning her foot was very badly bruised and she refused to stand on it.

When I called the vet, they immediately advised me to come in, as birds can go into shock very quickly from a broken bone, even if they aren't acting like they're in pain. Since they're prey animals, they will do all they can to mask their injuries. I went to the vet and they checked her and sent me home with liquid meloxicam to give her to help with swelling and pain.

While a trip to the vet is scary and expensive, Id say it's a neccessary evil in this scenario. It may be traumatizing, but overall your birds health is the most important factor here. Please go to the vet, or atleast give them a call and ask what to do. Good luck!

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Like @SamStarling said birds will mask their symptoms. She May look okay but in reality she's probably in a lot of pain and discomfort if she's not using her leg normally.

Take her to the vets as soon as you can, keep her calm and make food and water easy to access.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The only way to tell about this kind of injury is an e ray. If it were your leg/foot that is the first thing you would do, right?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope that Cookie will be OK. Agree with others re: taking her to the vet.