• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

broken blood feather!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
Charlie broke a blood feather. I pulled it, whether he liked it or not... , but it looks like its still bleeding... what do i do!?!?!?!? i dont have any quik stop

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Stay calm. You can use flour or cornstarch or just apply pressure to the spot. Are you sure the whole feather end came out? :hug8:

KimKimWilliamson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
Flour, Starch, Cayanne Pepper with a little water to make a paste...pressure, all those things will help stop the bleeding. Then you can assess the damage afterward.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Cayenne pepper is also good to stop the bleeding. If it won't stop get a towel and apply firm pressure. Keep the pressue on until it stops.

Ginger

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Looks like it all came out.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Totally agreeing with the Cayenne pepper..pack it onto the area and then press down and hold with your thumb/fore finger for at least 1 min......it will stop the bleeding...NEVER put Quick Stop on skin...it is only for toe nails...flour/corn starch/cayenne pepper are all better to work with...Did you hold the base of the feather follicle when you pulled the feather? If not, you could have torn the follicle inside and thus the bleeding...REMAIN CLAM!!!!!:hug8:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Great job on the picture!!!! Yes it is all out AND see the small little points at the tip...that is what goes into the wing bone...so that is why it is still bleeding a little...putting pressure at the base of the follicule will stop that bleeding....
The reason for the Cayenne Pepper VS the others is the anti bacterial properties of it...and NO IT doesn't hurt the bird!!!! I use it on myself all the time with cuts etc...Heals things like you wouldn't believe!:hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Looks like it all came out. Good job! :laughing12: Now just stay calm and control the bleeding. It always feels like forever for the bleeding to stop.

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
he's all lovey dovey now. bleeding stopped, and now he's begging for scritches, which is odd cuz he rarely does... and he does NOT want to go in the cage now. poor baby. musta scared him and hurt bad.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I dont like that Super Clot stuff because it actually burns...but handy to have...cornstarch and cayenne pepper you should always have on hand..good job in getting it out!! scary isnt it??

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
You did awesome! :laughing12: I can relate to the IBS and no spicy stuff. :D May want to get some cayenne pepper just for injuries. It is fantastic!

ILoveTiels

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amanda T
very scary... but he just sat there and let me yank it. screeched horrible, but i guess he knew it had to be pulled. he's on my lap right now trying to clean the bloody feathers. :/ how long til i give him a bath? he seems to be really irritated with the blood caked to his feathers. lol

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor guy,Im glad you got the feather out.

Status
Not open for further replies.