• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent BROKEN BLOOD FEATHER!!

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
My little blue linnie has at least one broken blood feather!! I noticed blood in the cage and thought they caught her foot on something! I don't have cornstarch or syptic!! I tried to pull out all the tail feathers that were the source of bleeding and I think I got them all. She is eating and drinking. She has a vet appointment tomorrow. What else can I do to help her???? I can't believe this happened I was going to get the vet care kit tomorrow :(

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
I also applied pressure to the area and I don't see any new blood. I feel so distraught. She was flying around when she managed to wiggle out of my grasp. Is the eating and drinking a good sign? If she's ok now and not bleeding will she be ok overnight??

Temi's Tavern

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Temi
Oh no! Did you apply pressure using a gauge when she was bleeding, is she still bleeding, does she appear to be uncomfortable?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I also applied pressure to the area and I don't see any new blood. I feel so distraught. She was flying around when she managed to wiggle out of my grasp. Is the eating and drinking a good sign? If she's ok now and not bleeding will she be ok overnight??
Flour will work too if you have nothing else.

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
I did not use a gague, I just applied pressure using the towel after pulling out the feathers. The feathers were broken midway down the shaft not at the base.

I have flour and was wondering if it would work, I called a friend who has birds and she said she didn't think it would work but I will powder her butt now. She does not appear to be bleeding anymore, it's just some dried blood on the surrounding feathers. She seems ok, she is eating and responding to her environment.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If the bleeding has stopped she should be OK. Just recheck and monitor. Sorry that she broke the blood feathers and hope all will be well.

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Thank you all so much for your help. I was very scared that she would die considering how long it took me to find the broken feathers. I had to pull them with my fingers as I couldn't find my tweezers. I pulled out quite a few to be safe as it was hard to see through the blood and she was wiggling so much. When I dunked her in the flour it came away clean with no red so I'm hoping that everything else is just dried blood. Nothing is dripping anymore. The feather that was bleeding the most doesn't seem to be a pin feather. I have attached a picture. Is this normal?

I have really spaced out their cage arrangement too in case she slipped and whacked her tail feathers against something which caused them to break. I hate the cage they're in now as it's a tower cage, I am getting them a long cage but it's coming in Wednesday. I just wish everything would chill out, I'm getting everything as fast as I can for them.

Attachments

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Just for general information: white flour will work to stop bleeding.

Alliusis

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Caitlin
Thank you both for that information. I thought it might work, and it was all I had, but I was panicking and had called a friend who was walking me through the steps. They didn't seem to think it would be a substitute. I will let my friend know that flour is an alternative for cornstarch in a pinch. I will be going to the vet tomorrow and I'll plan out an emergency kit with emergency steps so I don't become so panicked next time. She is such a small bird and I'm surprised and relieved that she survived it, at least for tonight (I don't like to jinx things which is why I specify that).

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you're making a kit, you might also want to get some Super Clot gel. I got mine from Amazon and it's been a life saver (literally) at times.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You can also use cayenne pepper paste to help stop the bleeding, hope shes ok.