• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Broken beak

Rusti

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rusti
I have an African Grey that somehow broke the tip of his upper beak. It happened last night. It finally stopped bleeding and won't be able to get him to a vet until tomorrow morning. I can't seem to get him to drink or eat today. His poop still looks the same. I don't know what to do, I mashed some of his favorite foods and have a syringe I've been trying to get water in him. What should I watch for or do until I can get him to the vet? Any suggestions or help would be great!!

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Never been in your position but keep trying to dribble some water into his mouth. I doubt that he'll want to eat much with a beak in that shape. :bump8:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Possibly try reposting on the African Grey forum too and use one of the "Bump" smilies ( signs) to get some extra attention.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Ouch...Good thing its not bleeding too bad or you'd have to stop that. Guess you can try a eyedropper or tube feedlng syringe to put water in his mouth or on his tongue so he can swallow it.

Broken / Cracked Beaks | Beauty of Birds

Caza66

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
This also happened to an African grey I had but not as bad as that. It was obviously painful for mine to eat but it did harden and he was able to eat normally quite soon after. We fed soft mash/food until it hardened. Hope a vet can sort it out.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Ouuuuch. I'd check over all his toys if I were you (if you haven't checked it out already). It's possible he got it hooked or stuck in something, (ie: the things most toys are hung with). Fresh Aloe Vera can help to boost the immune system and always feels good when I use it on cuts and scrapes, it might help him with the pain. Just make sure to only use the inside goo and not the outside bits. Polysporin is another good option, imho, but I'd be too worried about the little guy eating too much of the stuff, and I had issues with food getting stuck to it as it doesn't dry very quickly.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor guy. Hope he will be OK. Must be painful. It's good that it stopped bleeding. Continue to offer soft foods.

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
If you private message me your address. If it is in the USA or Canada. When he is better I will send him a glad your feeling better gift of some soft wood chunks/slices/coins which are soft enough to chew without stressing his beak until he feels confident to chew harder things.

Last edited: