• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bringing home a rescue. First day, and week?

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Hello all.

I’ve searched and read a lot. But nothing answered my questions exactly.

The birds I’ve had in the past cams from pet stores and I just brought them home and that was it. Now I want to rescue/re home an already house adjusted bird instead of buying from a pet store.

My question is. How does the first day go? For instance, I will drive the bird home in their carrier and of course have a cage for them. I have found a few looking for a rehome and they come with their cage as well. What should I do immediately when walking in the door? Place them in their safe space, their cage? Or let them walk around and explore their new surroundings? Another idea I had was to have a nice perch gym setup already and I could set it on that so they could have a nice tall view of their new house.

Then, how do the next few days go? A week maybe?

I guess just a run down of what’s worked for you, from the moment you pick them up to maybe a week or so in when they’re a little bit adjusted to their new home.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I put them in their cage and close it for the first day usually. Some will want out right away but others will appreciate going slow. That way they also know where home is in relation to the rest of their surroundings. They can safely observe because they are in their safe space. Some birds also prefer having part of the cage covered with a blanket or towel so they can hide a bit.

After that, I pretty much open the door and let the bird show me what it wants to do.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Every bird is different, Mizzely's right. Half of my current birds all wanted out on the first day, the other half (and Ciri) wanted it taken slow. You have to prove yourself trustworthy by respecting their boundaries and offering nothing but treats and love (at whatever pace they feel comfortable). It could take two minutes, it could take two months, it could take two years or even longer. I like offering my birds the option to leave their cage during the day like all my other birds.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I also put them into their safe space and leave them alone - not physically but I don;t try to pet or stare at them (predator look). I let them see us moving around, hear us talking etc. from the safety of the cage. I do this for a couple hours. After that I might go over and talk to them some. And offer a few treats. I don’t try to get them out until day 2.

Of course if it’s a bird that’s dying to get out and interact, all deals are off. Do what the bird wants!:laugh:

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Thanks for the great advice. My plan is, because we have a spare bedroom, to make that the birds room, and have their sleeping cage in there. But have a perch play gym for them to sit on daily out in the living/dining area (open floor plan house). Until we completely finish out our large walk out basement, then I will probably relocate them down there since it’s a much more open second living area.

So maybe for day one or two keep their cage in that area out in the dining living room and let them sit in that and start trusting us, then once they come out nicely I could move their sleeping cage into their room and just allow them to sit on the perches in the living area?

And of course, read the birds language to see if they want to leave their cage right away or not. In that case this all may be a moot worry haha. I just want to ensure I make their transition as smooth as possible :) and being a rescue they’re bound to be much more nervous about their move than a young pet store bird.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I just want to ensure I make their transition as smooth as possible
Undoubtedly whatever they do will be something none of us thought of! :laugh:

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
I completely agree. I will update as soon as I find the right fit for us. We are going to meet a 9 year old female Moluccan Cockatoo this weekend. She is being rehomed due to the owner changing jobs and not being home very often now. So it is a positive she is not going to be adjusting from mistreatment, should we decide to adopt her.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So much depends on the bird. My rehomed cockatiel didn't want to come out of his cage for the first few weeks we had him. Of course, he also wasn't used to being out of his cage. My cockatoo Elvis, I opened up the carrier, he hopped out and spent the rest of the day just hanging out with us. If you can, find out about the bird's current routine and try to keep things the same as possible until he/she settles in- same food, bedtime, etc. And then as the bird adjusts to your home, you can make the changes you want.