• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bringing home a baby Eclectus

Sanisul

Moving in
Real Name
Sulu Jacob
Hi Everyone!

We just brought home our very first Eclectus. It's a baby boy and is currently in his 10th week.

The chick is now on two times hand-feeding at an interval of 12 hours. I feed him at 9am and then at 9pm. As we just got him yesterday, the breeder advised to give him a few walnut pieces and shredded veggies in between to encourage his weaning. He weighs around 420g and is still quite catious around us. He has his baby box with shredded newspaper. He took well to the walnut pieces we offered as he gently nibbled on it. As per the breeder's instructions we are to feed him 40ml of feed every feeding for now. So now i have a ton of questions. I did read quite a bit on the bird before we took him in but the real deal always leaves me with a million queries and so here goes:

1) Is the 40ml feeding portion enough for a 420g chick? Currently I'm only able to get him to have around 30ml or 35ml as he shakes his head away at this point.

2) What do i leave in his baby box to encourage picking up food? We are out at work during the day and are looking for advise on how to keep the chick content without starving it.

3) During the morning feeding after the initial 20ml I heard quite distinct grumbling sounds from his tummy. I heard a total of two grumbles. Is this normal? I'm not sure what to think as I know that their digestive tract and the way they eat are different compared to other parrots. We hand-reared our cockatiel from 25 days and never faced such sounds.

4) After feeding him I offered a teaspoon of warm water which he gulped down greedily and towards the afternoon he quickly drank 2 more teaspoons of warm wster. Is it okay to give him water at this stage? It is quite hot over here I must say and I wondered if he is thirsty or if he feels hungry?

Thanks in advance for the great advice I'm sure you all will share with me. Looking forward to any tips and reading material that can help me.

Thanks again!

Sanisul

Moving in
Real Name
Sulu Jacob
Hi @Birdbabe! Do you know of any instances where the chick's stomach growls? Funny think is it happens halfway through the feeding...

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Dobey was not a baby when I brought him home, I wish I could help. I know there there are a few baby Ekkies here on the forum, hopefully they will help

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've actually heard that " tummy growling" in my cockatiels, after they eat, it goes away
I don't have an Eclectus,,but I think it would be the same.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats.