• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent bright red blood in droppings

jess and casey

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jessica
Hi everyone,
Sorry this post is SO long and I didn't really know what section to post in but I just want to see if anyone has had any similar experiences with this or has any advice so I am going to try to put as many details as I can with it. There aren't a lot of parrot resources online so this is my desperate attempt to get some real parrot peoples help advice!

My 24yo female Af gray congo, Casey, has been having bright red blood in her droppings off and on for about 6 weeks now (see photos).

Before I start, she has been seen by the vet several times, with no answers. Best they could give me was that they couldn't rule out a mass, it could be a GI infection or colitis, or reproductive issues. They did regular X-rays, contrast X-rays plus blood work and nothing jumped out except she was anemic. I know people will probably post that its heavy metal poisoning but the vet did not say anything about it.

Basically said the next step would be endoscopy but endoscopy wouldn't show something in her reproductive system and at this point I have already spent around $1000 on this guessing game and it gets really frustrating dealing with vets.
OK so this is the story of what happened:

The first week it happened the bleeding was every day and every dropping, bright red blood like the photos which as you can see are very alarming, varying in the amount and size but the first week were very large bloody droppings. This was when we went to the vet. She got put on an antibiotic, then flagyl and carafate and the bleeding stopped for about 2 weeks.

Since then (end of November) it has happened off and on but will be one or two droppings and then back to normal. It has been happening about a week apart every Sunday for whatever reason. She's eating, drinking, bathing, screaming, talking, all normal which I know doesn't mean she isn't feeling poorly.

Heres a little about her environment. She lived in a bird room most of her life at my dad's until September when she moved here since she hates my dad and was plucking very severely. She's caged and then out with supervision, its a powder coated cage in good condition. She eats Harrison's pellets and before ate Zupreem pellets and a veggie mash usually of sweet potato, spinach, carrot, zucchini or other random veggies and fruits. I have been trying to keep everything as clean as possible. We did get a perch from Craigslist before before all this started in the beginning of November which I have thought was the source of this but the past month she hasn't had any contact with it and is still bleeding. The owners told us the bird had died of some kind of food poisoning and I cleaned it really well before she sat on it. She has some wooden toys that I have cleaned and a couple new perches that I also got around the beginning of November but it has all been cleaned multiple times. I am constantly thinking of what I am doing to cause it but am just out of answers now.....

Thank you for reading this novel!!!!

image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

FlyingMacaws

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Naomi
Your correct, that is an alarming amount of blood in her stool. Maybe she possibly ingested a splinter or something along those lines. The “splinter” could have caused internal trauma. A splinter would be hard to show up on an X-ray.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Has she had a barium imaging series? If she were my bird, that's what I'd do.