• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding

Jacs

Moving in
Real Name
Jackie Hearne
Hi I am new to this site I am a owner of green cheek conure and a pineapple conure called bell and charlie we think bell is female and Charlie male we have had them since they were 8 weeks old than are approaching 12 months of age than get along realy good always growing each other I have put a breading box in the cage and Charlie seems very happy to mate but Bella is not to keen is their a chance Bella could also be male great full for any replies

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. Why do you want them to breed? Do you have any experience breeding birds? There are many things that can go wrong when breeding birds and if they have babies and mom & dad don't take care of them then you will need to be able to take over.
Sometimes the female can get ill from laying too many eggs or she can become egg bound. You may want to reconsider that breeding box.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Hello and welcome. All of the above...then if you still think it is a good idea. You'll need to research green cheek conure breeding.

The first thing is do you know for certain that they are not related?

...............(this means there is so much more to research but I don't want to comment on it because I am not that helpful today )

Regarding the male wanting to breed, this is common that the male will want to breed at a younger age than the female. You should make sure he is not chasing her around continuously and stressing her. Also you shouldn't give them a box for breeding unless they are both interested in breeding. You do not want to encourage the male if the female isn't ready.

I had a young pair of parrotlets with an over eager male and the female got so stressed by his pursuing her, that she got sick. She had to be treated with antibiotics and given supportive care to recover. I separated them for several months until she showed an interest in being with him. I then put them back together, eventually they became a productive breeding pair.

Not all male/female pairs will chose one another as mates. You need to watch for fighting as they mature, just in case.

Breeding is a serious proposal. Please do research on your particular species and give it all due consideration.

Jacs

Moving in
Real Name
Jackie Hearne
Thank you so much for your advise most Greatfull

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't think it's a good idea to breed them now. While they are probably capable, greencheeks don't really reach maturity until 18-24 months, and you would be risking the female's health breeding them too young. Also, younger parents are more likely to have problems raising babies - most often because they lack the patience to sit on their eggs as well as they should - but sometimes they will hatch babies and then not care for them well, which is worse.

I would just take this time to get them in as good health as you can, learn to handfeed, and just otherwise research and prepare.