• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

breeding

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Here we go again! Instead of answering the question everyone climbed on the 'don't breed' soap box again! Honestly, I am beginning to doubt the general supposedly helpful and supportive tone of this forum.

To answer the question, just because the birds are older doesn't mean they can't or won't breed. Are they a dedicated pair now? Do they live in the same cage together? Are you birds in good physical condition and have you started feeding good, premium foods and providing lots of calcium sources for the hen to help with egg formation? You say you want to breed in the summer and I don't know where you live, but here in North America, the cockatiel breeding season is usually January to March; so my birds are courting and mating right now. Cockatiels are from the southern hemisphere of the earth, and so they breed during the spring and summer months in Australia, which are September to March.

If the birds are not yet cohabiting a cage or current mates, introducing them to one another this summer gives them time to pair and form a mating bond.
Lois, the reason we all climbed on the don't breed soapbox is because this person already stated she cannot afford vet care for her current bird. How can you possibly condone breeding birds when this person does not have access to a nearby vet nor can afford a vet if something goes wrong.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I am not condoning breeding birds. I simply feel not at least answering the question is rude and mean. If a person has already decided to breed, not answering their question is not going to stop them. Instead give them the information they are asking for and then talk about bird over population, run down and sick hens and the such. You know I always encourage people who ask a question about breeding to not do it; but at least I answer their questions and give them information they can use to keep their birds healthy.

Our foum is here to provide information and support to other parronts and make life better for pet birds everywhere. If all we do is criticize and not give out information, people are going to start avoiding our forum instead of joining it.

Yes, I know this is a minor child whose parents refused to allow another budgie in the house and now the parent says it is OK to breed; and that the child was unable to afford vet care for a sick bird. But that does not change the fact the kid is going to breed no matter what we say; the least we can do is give her good, solid info and then try and discourage her from going through with her plans.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Well, we are going to disagree on this one...I don't think that anyone was intentionally rude or mean. Perhaps the information can be given along with the opinion that she should not do it. It is however, very difficult to give out this information when you know that what the person is planning to do is foolhardy and wrong.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I got into breeding cockatiels by accident. My first tiel, Gracie, and her mate, Chip, surprised me one February morning with a chick. I was so uninformed about cockatiels, I didn't even know they were mating! I let them breed and breed; had six clutches of babies and kept all but two of them. Then one day I realized Gracie was sick! I took her to the vet and found out I almost killed my bird by allowing her to breed so much and not providing the proper nutritional support. I stopped breeding right away and vowed never to breed again after I joined a forum and found out how many unwanted birds are in rescues.

Please do your homework and read up on breeding before you allow your birds to produce young. Also, have you thought about what you will do if your parent birds abandon the babies? If they do this, you will have to hand feed the babies to keep the from dying and you have no resource to learn how to do that. First time parent birds sometimes have no clue about what to do with babies. I had one cock bird who attacked the babies because he didn't know what they were; luckily I had another hen on babies and I just transferred his babies into her nest box. She raised the new babies just like her own and they survived. Needless to say, I never bred that cock again. Please reconsider your decision to breed and if you want another birdie, rescue one instead.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got into breeding cockatiels by accident. My first tiel, Gracie, and her mate, Chip, surprised me one February morning with a chick. I was so uninformed about cockatiels, I didn't even know they were mating! I let them breed and breed; had six clutches of babies and kept all but two of them. Then one day I realized Gracie was sick! I took her to the vet and found out I almost killed my bird by allowing her to breed so much and not providing the proper nutritional support. I stopped breeding right away and vowed never to breed again after I joined a forum and found out how many unwanted birds are in rescues.

Please do your homework and read up on breeding before you allow your birds to produce young. Also, have you thought about what you will do if your parent birds abandon the babies? If they do this, you will have to hand feed the babies to keep the from dying and you have no resource to learn how to do that. First time parent birds sometimes have no clue about what to do with babies. I had one cock bird who attacked the babies because he didn't know what they were; luckily I had another hen on babies and I just transferred his babies into her nest box. She raised the new babies just like her own and they survived. Needless to say, I never bred that cock again. Please reconsider your decision to breed and if you want another birdie, rescue one instead.
Love that!! That was a PERFECT way to communicate our thoughts. :)

GlassOnion

Hey there! It is best to have a vet fund and an avian vet near you before you decide to breed. :) my female cockatiel had ONE single egg stuck in her body and we had to rush her to the vet. It costed me almost $700 for that one emergency. I would've lost her in a day or two if I couldn't do that, and it would have broken my heart.

bird help

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Raigan
Here we go again! Instead of answering the question everyone climbed on the 'don't breed' soap box again! Honestly, I am beginning to doubt the general supposedly helpful and supportive tone of this forum.

To answer the question, just because the birds are older doesn't mean they can't or won't breed. Are they a dedicated pair now? Do they live in the same cage together? Are you birds in good physical condition and have you started feeding good, premium foods and providing lots of calcium sources for the hen to help with egg formation? You say you want to breed in the summer and I don't know where you live, but here in North America, the cockatiel breeding season is usually January to March; so my birds are courting and mating right now. Cockatiels are from the southern hemisphere of the earth, and so they breed during the spring and summer months in Australia, which are September to March.

If the birds are not yet cohabiting a cage or current mates, introducing them to one another this summer gives them time to pair and form a mating bond.
Thank you so much! I was starting to feel like just saying the word breed was a crime, and I'm more curios than serious about breeding them. I just wanted information, I didn't want a gilt trip on my age! I don't want permission either :mad: My birds are actually only 8.5 & 7.5 months sorry about that, not quit old enough. All the question you asked me the answer is yes, except for the dedicated pair. I'm not sure what that means, but I don't think their quiet there yet. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
To breed you need a good relationship with a vet because if something happens there isn't really good options other than the vet.

I still think cockatiels are so overpopulated that you shouldn't breed for moral reasons but to each their own.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I am not condoning breeding birds.
And yet that is the message that the OP has taken away from your posts, despite the fact that s/he apparently has neither funds to take a bird to the vet or even knows of an avian vet in the area. Congratulations.

bird help

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Raigan
P.s. I have found a local avian vet if I need help or something goes wrong ;)

bird help

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Raigan
The reason I joined this was to get advice not be criticized :darkcloud: . Yes I am young, I haven't had my birds for even a year yet. I'm not putting my birds in danger I have found an avian vet :agreed: and I wouldn't have bread my birds unless I had one. I would never intentionally put my birds in danger, because I love them. :grouphug3: I really appreciate the people who didn't criticize me and gave me nice advice :hug8:

HelloMarsha

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claire
Thank you so much! I was starting to feel like just saying the word breed was a crime, and I'm more curios than serious about breeding them. I just wanted information, I didn't want a gilt trip on my age! I don't want permission either :mad: My birds are actually only 8.5 & 7.5 months sorry about that, not quit old enough. All the question you asked me the answer is yes, except for the dedicated pair. I'm not sure what that means, but I don't think their quiet there yet. Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
If you are curious, you should read as many books on the topic as you can. I would start with 'A guide to incubation and hand raising parrots'. If you read something you don't quite understand, then here is the forum to ask. But to ask generally about the entire topic, it's probably not a great strategy.

I understand some people have 'fluked' their way into breeding, however this isn't the best scenario. The best scenario is by doing all the research you can, looking at all the problems you might encounter and trying to have a plan B ready to go.

Also, it's not recommended to breed companion parrots. It can be done, but you're more likely to encounter problems such as egg abandonment, infertile eggs and what was described above where the chicks were attacked by the cock. You're more likely to have greater success with birds that have minimal human contact.

That being said, I agree, you're not ready. But it doesn't mean you can't start to prepare yourself. As I said, read... Read... Read!!! If you do follow your dream of becoming a vet, this knowledge will be very valuable. I'm not saying don't breed, I'm saying wait until you're better prepared.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Raigan, a dedicated pair is a pair that has formed a mating bond. Birds don't just breed, they establish relationships before they breed. The cock bird sings to and displays for the hen and the hen keeps him at a distance until she decides whether or not he would make a good father. Right now I have one rescue cockatiel, Sweety, a cock, desperately trying to woo a second rescue bird, Tweety, a hen. He sings and sings and does what we call heartwings and is following her every where she goes. He shows her the nest box he found and sometimes she will go over to the box and look in and then fly away as if to say "No way. Not this one." It is such a great way to get info on what birds do in the wild. Like I said, get a book or on line information on cockatiel breeding; it will really help if you decide to go on and breed next fall.

Oh yeah. The reason I have nest boxes in my birdroom is not because I want to breed my birds, but to make it easier to find the eggs to sterilize them after a pair produces eggs. I decided it was easier and better to let them have nest boxes than to have to dig a clutch of eggs and a brooding hen out from under furniture or the wood stove. My birds are permitted to pair up, to mate, to lay eggs, but are not permitted to hatch any eggs. This way they get to be birds, to have full lives and I control their population.

Note that this thread is not about criticizing me, it is about a young bird parront who wants information. If you want to crucify me or criticize me, go ahead and send me your opinions as a private message. I am not responding to any more personal criticism on this thread.

bird help

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Raigan
I am not going to breed this year I might next year probly not but maybe. I under stand there are lots of birds in the shelter so I think I will wait :smug: thank you so much you have really helped me. :bliss:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I am not going to breed this year I might next year probly not but maybe. I under stand there are lots of birds in the shelter so I think I will wait :smug: thank you so much you have really helped me. :bliss:
Regan, I really admire you for listening. :) I posted a thread related to this. Please read :)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
You are welcome, Raigan. You can still pair up your birds if you wish and allow them to bond. As I said, there is no reason you have to allow the eggs to hatch. Since birds cannot be surgically neutered like cats and dogs, sterilizing the eggs with either hot water or refrigeration is the only birth control for them. Not allowing them to have a mate and behave like they would in the wild I feel is cruel to our pet birds. I would rather sterilize eggs.

Hang in there kiddo and you can always ask more questions and get info later.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
so I was thinking about breeding my cocks so what do I need to know. I am new at this so I have no idea. I am breeding them in the summer. right now my female is about 7.5 mounths my male is about 8.5. mounths what do I need for this , will they actually breed or am I just wasting my time.
You shouldn't breed any tiels unless they're almost 2 years old - Cockatiel Breeding Basics « The National Cockatiel Society Can they breed, yes, BUT it would be like letting a 13 year old girl get pregnant with a 13 year old boy as the father. If you want tiel parents who will know what to do and care for their chicks properly, read the info and listen to the advice. AND, if you're doing it for potential $ you had better have some gorgeous tiel babies and have the good sense to check out who your tiel babies are going to. Any idiot can give you money, but do you want any idiot mistreating a baby you've brought into this world?