• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Breeding Season with Thoughts of Babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomsde

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tom Santomartino
Now that the breeding season is upon us my thoughts again go to baby birds. After much discussion the other half has approved of me getting a Canary Winged Parkaeet if I so desire. I was so capivated by the one I'd met last summer and attracted by the bird's winning personality. I've loved visiting the baby birds while they were hand feeding and miss that. That having been said it's hard to imagine cramming another cage into our small house and trailer so it's something I really have think long and hard about before I'd got ahead and get another. The FIDS we have need a lot of care and attention and I'm enjoying their company and antics. I'd ofter said here that after our elderly dog leaves us I'd rather have another bird than another dog--so perhaps I'll just wait. We'd have a little more space for a cage and more room in the car for transporting the flock.

Does spring and baby birds make you crave another FID? I was wondering if it was just me. Of course they don't stay babies for long, but now that our FIDS are getting older I really am enjoying them settling down and getting beyond the teenage parrot stage.

blahbla123

Walking the driveway
Real Name
gabby
well of course.. that is an every day thing for me :lol: but in know i am at my limit.. that is what i have to tell myself so you are not alone

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
yes, I do feel like that and I have to remind myself that I'm at my limit as well now

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
Yep. and I want one of everything......Good thing I have a husband to slap some sense into me:D

patagonian

Hit the Road
One more bird will be my limit and it will be some sort of macaw!

Tomsde

Real Name
Tom Santomartino
Well it's good to know I'm not alone, one more small to medium, not so demanding bird is my limit too. I still have delusions of little Connie being pals with another little bird, but she probably will have none of it knowing her. I'm still not certain as to weather she and Sammy like or hate one another--they certainly are not going to be snuggling up together I know that for certain. They are often trying to sneak up on one another, but it seems more playful than down right aggressive. I hold both of them at the same time often and they just leave one another alone.

A large bird like a big Macaw, Cockatoo, or Gray would be beyond my limit. With the demands of the current FIDS I just don't have the time, energy or resources to take on a parrot like that.

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I still think about when I will get my Turq Gcc or Meyers,but I know it wont be till one of my current babies passes away.

shf

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
i am owned by 8 parrots the first one in 2001; parrots are addictive especially if your a bird lover once you get one it doesn't stop. you have to be a bird person to really understand; i've always had a passion for birds it really doesn't matter what type of bird if its a bird i am extremely interested. they kinda remind me of dogs with wings with little individual quirks and more complex behaviors; although they aren't as attention seeking as a dog except maybe cockatoos; as an adult it really blossomed the interest in keeping birds.
green cheeks are real cuddly but only get along with other green cheeks my green cheek does not like even my jenday conure the gc conure will bully my jenday conure bite him. i had them both in the bathtub for a bath and my green cheeck just kept trying to pick a fight with my jenday really too aggressive.

Attachments

Last edited:

DebysFids

Hit the Road
Real Name
Deby
after we get our baby IRN thats it for us that will make 5 and me and hubby agreed 5 is the limit but it's always tempting to get a new baby especially in the spring and summer time , speaking of new babies I sent my breeder an email just wanted to know how DeeJay (IRN ) is doing and I recieved an auto message back from yahoo saying I'am in Mexico and will return April 25th :( now I'am curious as to who is taking care of the babies must be her hubby and someone in her family

patdbunny

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Roz
Ooohhh yyyaaaaaa!!!

Ah, in that sense - the joys of breeding delicious little fids. I don't breed mass quantities so I can enjoy each and every baby. Little eggy presents that open up to little blind squirmies! I just really can't describe in words the happy endorphins that emit into my brain when I have babies to coddle and play with.

Every once in a while I break down and have to keep another one. . . Of course the one I keep is "special" and it's "unique" and it's "one of a kind" - so I tell my husband.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I am always thinking about a new baby, lol. Especially after visiting a bird fair or store but I am in no place to add to my flock right now. I tell myself that after I get through training and am settled somewhere I will revisit the idea of a new bird. (Probably a macaw.) So, I won't be in a position to bring a new baby home for at least another eight or nine months.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Yes. >.> I'm trying to tell myself that Piper doesn't need a friend. I swear she doesn't. But all I can think is "she'd be so much happier if she had a buddy..." Life would be better if it weren't for the breeder who e-mailed me to let me know she had turquoise green cheeks available. Temptation!

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
I own 89 birds at the moment, I can assure you it is very hard to keep them all, yes most of them are in large aviaries outdoors etc but man it is difficult! I do however want a lot more parrots!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) I definitely do not think about going through the *baby parrot stage* ever again.

I did that twice and although it was great, it was also very time consuming. I enjoy my parrots alot more now that they're older and more independent.

shf

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
89 parrots? that is amazing i am owned by 8 and it is a full time job, i've read in tom's post that they bring their birds when they go on vacation. mine will not allow me to leave the house all day they will never forgive me for it and i could never bring 8 on vacation with me. i also have to compromise because the more birds you get the more difficult it becomes to find care for them when your on vacation; having a lot of parrots makes socialing more difficult; i have very needy birds i thought that i was really bird crazy? would love to see the 89 parrots or what types?mine are all inside the house and i don't have room for another one unless it was a finch, or canary?
but i have an agreement with myself that i cannot aquire another bird because it doesn't make sense anymore to get more because of the time, space requirements to care for them. i know that i can't handle anymore and if i go there then i will follow the path to "animal hoarding" which i don't consider myself as this. dont like the word either but if i had a huge house and ranch with acres i might consider more birds but it just is not practical 8 birds is the maximum for anyhousehold.
they are so sweet and fun to have around.
i agree with you about the baby parrot stage it is really taxing on you psychologically to raise a baby and the curiosity for me has worn off; don't think i would go through it again; i prefer the adults but there is a trade off when you raise a baby your bird really knows you and bonds to you; you don't have to deal with power struggles with adult rehomes; its more substantial and different aquiring a baby; than an adult; they treat you like your mommy even into their adulthood head bobbing begging for food, wing flapping with mouth open etc.

Attachments

Last edited:

PeaceLoveDreamer

Real Name
Jacqui
after we get our baby IRN thats it for us that will make 5 and me and hubby agreed 5 is the limit but it's always tempting to get a new baby especially in the spring and summer time , speaking of new babies I sent my breeder an email just wanted to know how DeeJay (IRN ) is doing and I recieved an auto message back from yahoo saying I'am in Mexico and will return April 25th :( now I'am curious as to who is taking care of the babies must be her hubby and someone in her family
Is DeeJay albino, like Kimba?! I haven't yet seen another albino!

And yes, spring makes me think of babies, and of how much I would love to breed my birds. Maybe one day :)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
Yes.

And I'm seeing myself not trying to argue with myself too much about NOT doing it if the opportunity arises ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.